let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Cool! Looks good. I love racks full of stuff.
Didnt you get the Yorkville monitors along with a semi busted alesis amp a while back?
Haha! Love the marshall knobs on it.

Yes I have the Yorkvilles now and have also added some Avantone MixCubes for additional reference. And yeah, luckily the RA-100's damage was only cosmetic. It works great and how has a new look. :)

I see a couple of DBX163X's these things are great, good on Bass, Kick and even snare, can't get it wrong with these. I love the way it is labels "More" LOL.

I have 2 as well plus a 163A.

Alan.

I see a couple of DBX163X's these things are great, good on Bass, Kick and even snare, can't get it wrong with these. I love the way it is labels "More" LOL.

I have 2 as well plus a 163A.

Alan.

I couldn't agree more! It's really hard to get a bad sound out of them on all those sources. I don't really care for them on vocals much, but on bass and drums especially they're great.

I'm intetested in getting some as well. Having used them in the past, it's kind of like having a few screwdrivers on your tool chest. You'll use them sooner or later.

For real transparent level control I have an aphex compellor.

Not the best shots of the new space, but here is a little tour that I threw together for my site. It has some pans of the equipment and recording space.

Just moved into my first apartment. My happy corner is coming together. It's a sweet spot for mixing, overdubs, and just listening. Full band stuff is recorded in my friends basement.
11899916_10153624160217112_6804308845608329423_n.jpg

I have my room back now after a year of not having it. We did an addition to our house and in the process had to tear out most of my music room in the basement in order to add posts and beams for extra support. We moved back in in January and have been getting back to normal since then. I had many other major projects going since then but have finally completed the room. I still have to add something to cover the breaker box and a couple other small things yet but the majority is complete.

This is the way it used to look.

And this is present. Major changes include the addition of a subloor and laminate as well as adding a snake to eliminate cable clutter. Now the cable runs on the other side of the wall. In the first pic there is a door on the right side that leads to the bathroom which I also remodeled. Acoustic treatment is 2" oc703 panels with a 2" air gap behind them for broadband and 4" for the corners. Its a small room so I didnt want to take away too much space with thicker panels.

IMG_3751_zpsbj4jvvgt.jpg

IMG_3753_zpsaeelmp1e.jpg

IMG_3755_zpsrrezmpb7.jpg

IMG_3757_zpswod0k5t9.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpslbizvtrk.jpg

IMG_3762_zps7vih05nt.jpg

FullSizeRender_1_zpsovbz1q8n.jpg

IMG_3770_zpsz2xjub7i.jpg

IMG_3764_zps6qpgnjqh.jpg

EB89996B-D7C6-4171-A8F5-9AE9ED8489F2_zpsfp0j9qbn.jpg

So, I have a window in my recording place that I am wanting to cover for multiple reasons, but is there a certain fabric that is better for containment and treatment? I did not know if the thicker the better or any problems that may arise. Thanks!

Heavy drapes are typical. But you haven't told us much. A diagram showing the room layout and window location would be good.

So, I have a window in my recording place that I am wanting to cover for multiple reasons, but is there a certain fabric that is better for containment and treatment? I did not know if the thicker the better or any problems that may arise. Thanks!

Have a talk to a company that makes or sell theatre blacks / curtains.

Alan.

25oz (or higher) velour is a pretty typical theatre drape. Will absorb plenty of top end and ambience (but as one would expect, doesn't do much for low end).

This is it so far lol. A piano, more guitars, keyboards and mics not shown. I've a full finished basement partially subbing as a photo studio: plenty of room left for a nice studio and control room if I take it that far. Then my son may not have to pay high studio fees as much.

image.jpeg

Here's the 1st rendition of my recording space. I've made some more modifications, including building a rack and filling it with gear, replacing the drumset with one more appropriate for a Rush fan like myself. I'm working on lighting at the moment. A couple of weeks ago some dumba$$ muther@#$%er crashed his car into the back wall where the mixer sits. We were on vacation when it happened and I didn't notice it until we got home. Of course he left no information. But it was clear he was doing donuts in his car and lost control. DaJa.jpg

Back