let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Need Help With Set-Up

I got some equipment, but its not all set up.
I was woundering if someone can tell me whats a good way to set it up

I got a laptop with a recording software "Audacity" with a 1 x Phone 1/8"(Microphone) jack

fostex multitracker 4 tracks tape

14 Channel Mixer Peavey Rq 2314

peavey 2000 poweramp

dual 15 band eq stageworks

rackrider powerconditioner

mics

drums
guitar
bass
keyboard

monitors.

Thats pretty much whats there to be set up.
if you can help me with a set up id appreciate it.

I am mostly having trouble connectiing my mixer to my computer. can someone give me an idea of how i can connect a 14 channel mixer to my laptop?????

IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE.

THANKS

Ghost of FM, that looks really nice, very nice atmosphere, but can we get some detail pics? Better lit? :D

My humble "studio". Any pointers are very welcome. I'm a simple beginner in home recording.
It's a great start!!!:D
For starters, if you can center your desk against on the wall your guitar is leaning against in the photo, it would be a good thing acoustically, primarily as it will get you out of the corner. Corners present natural sound frequency anomolies as they are let alone being placed right in one.
Make sure your monitors are close to ear height when mixing if at all possible.
A good size panel or 2 of auralex or perhaps some owens-corning 703 based acoustic panels behind your monitors would help with those reflections.
For recording vocals and even your guitar a little more "dry" on the cheap, if you can somehow hang a thick (goose) down comforter around the back of your microphone, that would help. If you have 2, put one behind you as well.
Nuff said!
It's a great start!!!

jeffchastain's...

Cool!..................:eek:;)

Attachments

• studio002a.JPG
    studio002a.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • studio003a.JPG
    studio003a.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,201
  • studio001a.JPG
    studio001a.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,194
  • studio005a.JPG
    studio005a.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,185
It's a great start!!!:D
For starters, if you can center your desk against on the wall your guitar is leaning against in the photo, it would be a good thing acoustically, primarily as it will get you out of the corner. Corners present natural sound frequency anomolies as they are let alone being placed right in one.
Make sure your monitors are close to ear height when mixing if at all possible.
A good size panel or 2 of auralex or perhaps some owens-corning 703 based acoustic panels behind your monitors would help with those reflections.
For recording vocals and even your guitar a little more "dry" on the cheap, if you can somehow hang a thick (goose) down comforter around the back of your microphone, that would help. If you have 2, put one behind you as well.
Nuff said!
It's a great start!!!

Thanks for the pointers hsg. I'm in the process of moving a bunch of junk out of that room to make more space for recording. As soon as all that is gone, I'm going to move everything to the wall my guitar is against. I'm having trouble recording vocals like mad. With my guitar, I'm plugging in, and micing around the 11th fret, and it's sounding great. But, the vocal recordings just aren't up to par. It's sounding very thin, and grainy.

I've enjoyed looking at all the great studio setups people have posted so here's a few shots of mine.

Fstudio1-1.jpg

Fstudio1-3.jpg

Fstudio1-4.jpg

Fstudio1-5.jpg

Fstudio1-7.jpg

Fstudio1-9.jpg

The Bombshed!

I've not posted pics of my studio for a long time. It's still not complete, but it's getting there. I basically needs skirting, doors and DIY wall boxes/connections. Here's where I'm at just now:

Control room(7'6"x6'6"x6-7'):

Gonna have white skirting and door facings. Flooring just laid today :D

through to live room1

Live room 1(7'6"x6'6"x6-7'):

through to control room.

to vox booth

Vox booth(9'x2'x6'):

Very small booth. Gotta get that door hung!

Drum booth(9'x5'x6'):

first to be almost complete

With kit I'm gonna sell for xmas

Other view.

Equipment:

Tascam FW-1804
Alesis M1 active Mk2s(blue lights are too bright)
Lava lamp :D

Can't wait to get the equipment in, and start recording. :D

Last edited:
Nice one Pandaman.
You might have to be carefull with how you insulate the drum room since its so small. Could end up with some nasty phasing.
Nice wee pad but.

Eck

Nice one Pandaman.
You might have to be carefull with how you insulate the drum room since its so small. Could end up with some nasty phasing.
Nice wee pad but.

Eck
Yeah the drum room is really small 9'x5'(bombshelter, drywall-three bricks thick walls). But i'm gonna have 4" rigid fiberglass gobos, and 2 2"(spaced 2") rf clouds in the drum booth. All the rooms are dead small, control room 6'6"x7'6", so i'll be using a lot of treatment.

The drums sound so loud in the booth, haha. Can't play without ear protection(which is probably a good thing :D)

This is my very humbble setup for basically solely hip hop production and i record vocals every once in awhile.

ssitty1so8.jpg

fullishfb8.jpg

And just some random pics

31666183rt0.jpg

29610171ls6.jpg

95836648ru8.jpg

54874116vr3.jpg

68544996ox5.jpg

40446037qa1.jpg

Obviously not a the level of alot of you guys. Just my simple home setup.

Is it just me, or is that chair missing a wheel?

I have quite a similar chair, and that happened to me a couple weeks ago. Luckily i had an old chair i could "borrow" a wheel from.

Um, lol, yes. Actually if you look to right of it and slightly above, right next to the wall, you can see the missing one:D

here's an update, my humble "studio" aka my bedroom. I only do mixing here...absorbers are home made (see link in sig) and the cloud is too...The big piece of brown wood above the window acts as a diffusor, as i had a bad flutter echo between the parallel walls. This was just a test (the wood cost next to nothing) but it work extremely well!!

angle.jpg

Looking across the room at the mix position, with absorber behind the monitors and another one in the corner, and diffusor above the window.

oppositewall.jpg

wall facing the window. another hang absorber to reduce reverberation and to kill reflections from this wall.

mixposition.jpg

on the desk, MacMini (intel), AlphaTrack and Focusrite Liquid Mix both brand new and great products.

Back