let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Thanks guys, great advice. This is why I put up the pics, I'm planning to re-arrange everything this weekend, I'm gonna take a lot of it down as it probably is too dead, and I'm gonna get some rigid fiberglass panels and make some bass traps for the corners behind the speakers and for the point where the wall meets the ceiling, the jerseys are just asthetic tho.
Rami do you mean I should use the absorbtion panels in the corner at an angle rather than flat against the wall? Would an absorbtion panel over my head be benificial?

Thanks man, not the first time you've given me sound advice, appreciated.
Hey, my pleasure. I'm no expert at any of this, just passing on what I've learned so far. :cool:

One more thing. I can't tell by your pics if your room is square or a rectangle. If it's square, it doesn't matter which wall you face. But if it's rectangular, face a shorter wall so that the sound fires down the length of the room.

Yeah thats the way it is, the wall I face is the shorter wall, the walls either side are longer, wish I had a bigger room but you've gotta make the best with what you've got. I'd like to have my speakers a bit further away from the walls.
I was just thinking about something and what do you thing of this, I was wondering that when I take the pillows down and if I stuffed them in tight to the corners so their compacted would they act as bass traps or is their no practical use for the pillows in the room?

Ok I've taken some advice and changed my room around, I've set up my speakers and listen position correctly, each spaker is the same distance from the wall and pointing at my listening position at ear level and my listening position completes the equalatiral triangle, here's some pics to show where I'm at.
Early reflections left wall.JPGEarly reflections right wall.JPG
In these 2 pics you can see where I've put my absorption panels for early reflections. I sat in my listening position and got my missus to run a mirror along the wall to the point where I could see the opposing speakers tweeter and this is where I hung the panels.
Left corner behind speaker.JPGRight corner behind speaker.JPG
In these 2 pics you can see the corners behind my speakers, I plan on building really good bass traps this weekend. I'm gonna use 4inch rigid foam as described in countless videos, My only issue might be is that I only have room to have a bass trap thats 18inches from one wall to the other, I'm not sure this will make a difference.
Vocal booth.JPG
Here you can see my door closed which creates a little alcove, I was wondering that if I put hooks in the walls and hung a duvet which cover the left wall, the door, and the right wall in this alcove and placed my mic stand in the middle would this be a good little booth?

I really wanna get my room right and as you can see I'm using any advice I'm getting, I think it's great that I come on here and get some advice from people who know better than me.
Cheers Guys.

I think that little nook will give you a lot of reflections which will give you a boxy sound. You're so close to the walls, that's exactly what you wanna avoid. I'd put my mic in the main big part of the room. Not in the center, not against a wall. I hear the ideal placement is 38% of the way from one short wall to the other. But I think anywhere in the main room will be WAY better than in a little nook like that.

Asking for advice, whoever can help.

My "mixing desk" faces a corner of my micro-studio (roughly 12x12 in garage). It is not actually a desk - it is a wire Metro rack. This means that most waves will pass right through it. I will be putting up some bass traps behind the monitors, and elsewhere on the walls.

My question is about the corner behind the "mixing desk". I'm planning special treatment for this corner, since I understand bass tends to accumulate in corners.

My first idea was to make a 703 bass trap spanning the corner, 45 degrees off each wall. But then I thought, it might make sense to curve the bass trap - either convex or concave. Or maybe undulating. 703 is so bendable, it doesn't seem like this would be difficult to build.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I will have pics of my studio very soon. Just got an XLR patchbay for my 19" rack, and I want to get it wired up first.

Asking for advice, whoever can help.

My "mixing desk" faces a corner of my micro-studio (roughly 12x12 in garage). It is not actually a desk - it is a wire Metro rack. This means that most waves will pass right through it. I will be putting up some bass traps behind the monitors, and elsewhere on the walls.

My question is about the corner behind the "mixing desk". I'm planning special treatment for this corner, since I understand bass tends to accumulate in corners.

My first idea was to make a 703 bass trap spanning the corner, 45 degrees off each wall. But then I thought, it might make sense to curve the bass trap - either convex or concave. Or maybe undulating. 703 is so bendable, it doesn't seem like this would be difficult to build.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I will have pics of my studio very soon. Just got an XLR patchbay for my 19" rack, and I want to get it wired up first.

Research a bit here in the Studio Building and Display forum. Don't worry yourself with treating your 'in the corner setup'. It will not be worth trying. Go with the optimum setup that you can achieve in your room, then figure out how to treat it. The corner is the absolute worst place to begin.

Last edited:
Yeah, def. get out of the corner if you can. If your room is more/less rectangular, put your desk center on one of the short walls, then just pull your desk out a couple feet away from that short wall, that will be a good start.

Howdy lads!
I had a roughly a 11x12 ish basement space to work with(feel very lucky actually)
Walls are far from finished, and much more would need to be done to really make it
right, but I'm on my way.
Prersonus StudioOne DAW, Rockit5 monitors
Studio 071.JPG

Here's my newly modded Oktava 219 mic(via M.Joly)
Haven't done to omuch with it yet..
Studio 075.JPG

Studio 076.JPG
Studio 077.JPG
Studio 073.JPG
Studio 074.JPG
Studio 072.JPG

yeah I do feel lucky/blessed to have a room all to myself to putz with.
Downside is, this is a 100 year old cape, and the basement is musty.
The dehumidifier I have running fills up in a night...crazy
We've had a tom of rain lately.
Need to finish wallls..
Imminent upgrade to Presonus s/ware to Pro version...which will
facilitate third-party plug-ins whcih I'm VERY much looking forward to.
Plus, mastering suite/redbook burning etc

Rich

Hi everybody,
I just recently did some rearrangement in my spare room. Since this room is used as my study, as music room, as tea ceremony room, a yoga and meditation room, I did not want it to look like a music studio :)
This is a pretty small room with no parallel walls. The entrance door is parallel to one of the walls, but I got it treated. It is 8' high, has carpet and "popcorn" ceiling. I plan to test it and decide if I need a cloud or not.

Now I am in a process of making 2'x4'x4" Roxul GOBO's. I wanna make them look like Japanese shoji screens :)

Instruments I will be recording are Shakuhachi flute, Native American flute, Chakra Chimes and Tibetan singing bowls, didgeridoo, Udu drum and possibly Cajon. Other instruments are Akai EWI USB, Yamaha DGX-202

I use MacBook Pro + GarageBand, Cubase 5, Logic Express, Real Guitar 2
Mics: AKG c414 XLS, Rode NT3
ART Pro MPA II Mic pre
Lexicon Lambda USB interface
Headphones for mixing… at this time at least :)

Here's my humble space. Lower part of the wall is covered with 3'x3' tatami pads (about 1/2" thick)

IMG_0010.jpg

I did not finish this rack mount, it still needs a nice door :)
There's a folding panel on the right to make it wide. It holds my laptop and 25-key MIDI keyboard

IMG_0011.jpg

These are sliding panels I got in IKEA. They cover a closet door where I place mic stands, didge etc…

IMG_0012.jpg

Of course, my tea table :)

IMG_0009.jpg

This is a view from the window in front of the tea table.

IMG_0013.jpg

My Studio

Here's a picture of my listening position and my acoustic treatment plan. I am finishing the ceiling panels and my treatments will be done.

I'll post some more pics soon.

Studio Plan Top.jpgListening Position Picture.jpg

This is how my room looks now, I have built 2 bass traps for the corners, I built a 2 frames, 15" against both walls and joined across then I wrapped the frames in sheet and filled with rockwool loft insulation, wat I did with the insulation was roll it out and cut it into triangles and stacked the triangles on top of each other in the trangular frame, then i mounted them in the corner of my room behind the monitors, I have 2 absorbtion panels on each side wall in the reflection points both 4" deep of rockwool loft insulation.
Bass trap left 2.JPGBass Trap left.JPGBass trap right 2.JPGBass trap right.JPG

Back