let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Figured out the attatchment thing

Attachments

• SDC11356_640_480.jpg
    SDC11356_640_480.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,176
  • SDC11363_640_480.jpg
    SDC11363_640_480.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,174
  • SDC11386_640_480.jpg
    SDC11386_640_480.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • SDC11354_640_480.jpg
    SDC11354_640_480.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,173
couple more

Attachments

• SDC11241_640_480.jpg
    SDC11241_640_480.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,175
  • SDC11243_640_480.jpg
    SDC11243_640_480.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,163
  • SDC11382_640_480.jpg
    SDC11382_640_480.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,157
  • SDC11362_360_480.jpg
    SDC11362_360_480.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,155
Not my amp, but it was pretty cool to record:
l_4a7ef02402e440898c47759c859343d3.jpg

5150 is mine.
l_9ff33d0d205648978199d2ff826f8716.jpg

l_6409b4e1fb1f4e02a34c65ac5ce58389.jpg

My home studio collection of amps:
l_2778625f6b684f57b8895884ca3fe107.jpg

l_b1947c296a684a9fb82730df10095618.jpg

l_84298dd71f6b412c977d381138dc81a2.jpg

Hey

checked it! NICE!!...JP8000!!! SUPERSAW!!!
sooooothing synth tracks!:D

Thanks man! Much appreciated....yeah, I love being able to tweak all the knobs on the front panel of that thing.....I just got a Virus C as well, so I'm bleeping and blooping my way to electro heaven these days :D

You gotta hit me with some Borg ship tunes!!

This is my studio. No room treatment as this is a rental. I only use it for recording my own music (mostly death metal) and I find that it works well for what I use it for. Let me know what you think.

Yes I do have a lot of action figures. I'm also into horror movies!

Guitars (Left to Right): Jasmine 6 String Acoustic-electric, Peavey V-Type, 4 String Ibanez SR300, Epiphone Dr. Skull Les Paul, Montana 6 String Acoustic

Equipment: HP Envy15, 24 Inch Acer LCD, Samson 3a & 4a monitors, Sony 10" Subwoofer, Line 6 UX2, Line 6 Guitar Port, M-Audio Oxygen61 MIDI, Skullcandy GI Headphones (great for mixing), Skullcandy SkullCrusher Headphones (great for laying down vocals).

Mics (Not Pictured): Shure SM58, MXL 990, MXL 991, Radio Shack El Cheapo (great for highly distorted death growls)

Software: Sony Acid Pro 7, Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Reason Adapted, Abelton Live 8, Fruity Loops 9, Toon Tracks EZDrummer/Drumkit From Hell, Line 6 POD Farm & GearBox, Acoustica Beatcraft.

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    IMG_2434.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 958
The new home away from home

A couple of friends of mine are just finishing up this pretty nice home studio space. In a stone soup kind of arrangement, I'll be contributing some gear and will be part of the engineer lineup there once everyone is through taking it through it's shakedown period over the next couple of weeks or so. So far some preliminary testing of the room acoustics and gear sound have been extremely positive.

I'll be writing a series of articles on it's design and construction on my web site after the shakedown is done and everything is nice and cleaned up in there for some better pics, and I can sit down with the owners to talk some detail, in a couple of weeks. But I figured I'd get these early shots up here for now.

Not shown yet are a Hammond B3 and Leslie combo, and a Rhodes Suitcase 73 will will be added to the live room as well. Also a small modicum of outboard rack gear is not yet shown. But there should be enough here to get the idea for now, anyway.

Board is a PreSonus Live 16.4.2 combo digital mixer/DAW controller. DAW hardware are dual Acer PCs, one running Nuendo, the other containing music sample libraries. Monitors are Event 20/20Ps on top, JBL 4411s on the bottom, powered by dual strapped BGH 250W amps (vintage pre-AT models).

Yes, that is my ugly mug in the last pic.

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/SouthSIDE_Glen/P_Studio/

G.

Last edited:
Nice looking digs! :drunk:

One thing...*and maybe it's just how it appears in the pictures*...but the audio monitors seem to be spread real wide and tilted inward to compensate.
IOW...it doesn't look like the mix position is at the tip of an equilateral triangle...it looks as though the mix position is pushed in much closer than the distance between the monitors....???

What's the small mixer...or is that just a control surface?

A couple of friends of mine are just finishing up this pretty nice home studio space. In a stone soup kind of arrangement, I'll be contributing some gear and will be part of the engineer lineup there once everyone is through taking it through it's shakedown period over the next couple of weeks or so. So far some preliminary testing of the room acoustics and gear sound have been extremely positive.

I'll be writing a series of articles on it's design and construction on my web site after the shakedown is done and everything is nice and cleaned up in there for some better pics, and I can sit down with the owners to talk some detail, in a couple of weeks. But I figured I'd get these early shots up here for now.

Not shown yet are a Hammond B3 and Leslie combo, and a Rhodes Suitcase 73 will will be added to the live room as well. Also a small modicum of outboard rack gear is not yet shown. But there should be enough here to get the idea for now, anyway.

Board is a PreSonus Live 16.4.2 combo digital mixer/DAW controller. DAW hardware are dual Acer PCs, one running Nuendo, the other containing music sample libraries. Monitors are Event 20/20Ps on top, JBL 4411s on the bottom, powered by dual strapped BGH 250W amps (vintage pre-AT models).

Yes, that is my ugly mug in the last pic.

http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/SouthSIDE_Glen/P_Studio/

G.

Very nice.

So how do you like the StudioLive?

One thing...*and maybe it's just how it appears in the pictures*...but the audio monitors seem to be spread real wide and tilted inward to compensate.
IOW...it doesn't look like the mix position is at the tip of an equilateral triangle...it looks as though the mix position is pushed in much closer than the distance between the monitors....???

What's the small mixer...or is that just a control surface?

So how do you like the StudioLive?
Miro, I agree, I feel the audio monitors are way too wide; one has to push their chair back a couple of feet to get a proper stereo spread the way it is now. Not my decision there, unfortunately, though when I am piloting the desk, I'll probably at least push the computer monitors in towards the mixer and move the speakers* in accordingly as well. That'll put them a good foot closer together.

Actually I'd prefer to build a small overbridge over the rear of the mixer and put the computer monitors on that, which would allow the speakers to get more than close enough. The downside to that would be to render the window useless to anybody not standing up, but it would IMHO be the most functional (and I'm one of those 'form follows function' kind of guys myself.) Who knows, maybe the shakedown period will change some minds, we'll see.

The board (a PreSonus Studio Live 16.4.2) is a digital mixer that serves both as a full A/D mixer and DAW controller. I haven't had much time on it yet - that night I took the pics (last Friday) was the first time I saw it unboxed - but it seems pretty straightforward in design and of decent construction. It's somewhat disappointing that for a DAW controller it doesn't include a transport control bank, but overall, it sure is an inexpensive way to get a full-on digital mixer with a bank of at least halfway decent pres. It's kind of hard to complain about what you don't get with a price tag of only $2G. I'd love a Tascam DM-4800 personally, but one of those with meter bridge (metering is surprisingly built into the PreSonus) would cost three times the price of the Presonus.

*BTW, I've come to hate the term "monitor" for studio loudspeakers. It was fine in the all analog days, but now it's just too confusing whether one is talking about loudspeakers or computer screens. I've sound myself just falling back on "loudspeaker" or "speaker" there, it's just so much more descriptive and efficient.

G.

*BTW, I've come to hate the term "monitor" for studio loudspeakers. It was fine in the all analog days, but now it's just too confusing whether one is talking about loudspeakers or computer screens. I've sound myself just falling back on "loudspeaker" or "speaker" there, it's just so much more descriptive and efficient.

Or...you could call the computer monitors "screens". ;)

Yeah...these days, with a pair of large screens, the monitors still get pushed out wide, but with smaller mixers and control surfaces, your mix position is not naturally pushed back like it would be with a deeper, analog console.

You are right, a bridge in back of…would allow the monitors to come closer.
One of the things that can be done with the screens (if you need to look out into the studio)...is to have them sunk down more, with an angle, that way you look down at them somewhat rather than have them perpendicular to the desktop.
Then there's some that hang them up higher...but I think that's a PITA to work with...having to look up above you head in order to edit/mix…it hurts my neck just thinking about it. :(

The board (a PreSonus Studio Live 16.4.2) is a digital mixer that serves both as a full A/D mixer and DAW controller. I haven't had much time on it yet - that night I took the pics (last Friday) was the first time I saw it unboxed - but it seems pretty straightforward in design and of decent construction. It's somewhat disappointing that for a DAW controller it doesn't include a transport control bank, but overall, it sure is an inexpensive way to get a full-on digital mixer with a bank of at least halfway decent pres. It's kind of hard to complain about what you don't get with a price tag of only $2G. I'd love a Tascam DM-4800 personally, but one of those with meter bridge (metering is surprisingly built into the PreSonus) would cost three times the price of the Presonus.

G.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the StudioLive is a DAW controller unless they added that with one of the firmware updates. But again...I could be wrong. And you're right about the value. To get everything that it offers for $2k or less is a steal.

Or...you could call the computer monitors "screens". ;)
I usually do ;). "Monitor" is the nun with the ruler that hangs out in the school hallway making sure you're not going to sneak a smoke in the bathroom :D. These days I really only try to use the term "monitor" for the loudspeakers with any regularity in places like this BBS where that's the terminology that's common and accepted.
You are right, a bridge in back of…would allow the monitors to come closer.
One of the things that can be done with the screens (if you need to look out into the studio)...is to have them sunk down more, with an angle, that way you look down at them somewhat rather than have them perpendicular to the desktop.
Looking at the pics and thinking about it some more since the last post, I think maybe a nice compromise might be to have the screen bases raised just a couple of inches off the desk, just enough to allow the bottom of the screens themselves clear the top of the mixer. Then the bases could butt up to the mixer sides and the screens "float" just over the mixer top. This would get them significantly closer together without giving up so much window estate.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the StudioLive is a DAW controller unless they added that with one of the firmware updates.
I can't speak to earlier versions of the StudioLive, but I can guarantee that this one does serve dual function as mixer and controller. It even comes with it's own DAW software if you want to use it.

G.

I usually do ;). I can't speak to earlier versions of the StudioLive, but I can guarantee that this one does serve dual function as mixer and controller. It even comes with it's own DAW software if you want to use it.

G.

That's cool. When Presonus first came out with the StudioLive there was a big push in it's forums to have it be a controller, also. I'm glad to see that they listened. :)

Back