let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 184 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 962 75.6%

• Total voters
Mr Nice said:
I like how you felt the need to keep the Pentium 4 box and let it be seen in the photo! :D

lol the cpu is actually still in that box... i don't own an intel machne all AMD :)

well i tell a lie my server is intel but it didn't like prescott cores so that cpu is useless... 2.8ghz of useless carp :P

vestast said:
Hey NL5 - What is that back wall made of ? Some sort of acoustic fabric ?

It's actually acoustic panels. My brother used to work for a soundproofing company, and they were scraps from a job. 4x7 foot compressed fiberglass covered with heavy duty material. There is a wall and a window behind them.

Here is a pic from the side....

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,913
Very Cool.

I think you built the desk too, eh ?

I'm in the process of building a room in the basement to relocate my stuff. Hopefully I can have some pictures up tomorrow. I have the frames finished for 2 walls and a couple of panels of drywall up already... :)

Yep.

I kinda built a "franken-desk". took a 28"x 5' desk and made it intoa 32" x 8' desk. The crappy part is, I went mixerless, then a week after the desk was finished, I came across a "too-good-a-deal-to-pass-up" ghost. So, I cut a big ol' hole it the desk and built an undercarriage for the new mixer. Woulda been a lot better had I designed the desk for the mixer originally.

Here is a link to a pic of the desk before I chopped it up -

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=137040

Can;t wait to see your pics! :D

Nice. That freaking desk is huge ! :D

I need something that big too. I'm thinking I might be sick of building things for a while though after the room is done, so I might put that off for a while :D

Here's my 12x12 "studio"...

After reading everything I could I first went with the Ethan Winer DIY "put-muslin-covered-rigid-fiberglass-across-the-corners." Then I added some of the same panels spaced off the walls. Then I added the Auralex studio foam to handle the flutter-echo. The results are good, although clearly not pro-quality.

Attachments

• front wall.jpg
    front wall.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,467
  • left wall.jpg
    left wall.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,327
  • backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,306
Very impressive stuff guys! Here's some shots I took tonight. I recently reorganized everything to accomodate my new board and give my bandmates more room. It's a "live room," heh heh... :D (You can also see my ugly mug sitting behind my kit!)

Attachments

• studio20041121-640-01.jpg
    studio20041121-640-01.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,471
  • studio20041121-640-02.jpg
    studio20041121-640-02.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,396
  • drums20041121-640-02.jpg
    drums20041121-640-02.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,382
Here's a whole studio pic - even though it's stil being put back together -

Attachments

• room3.jpg
    room3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2,782
KuzinRob said:
Very impressive stuff guys! Here's some shots I took tonight. I recently reorganized everything to accomodate my new board and give my bandmates more room. It's a "live room," heh heh... :D (You can also see my ugly mug sitting behind my kit!)

LOL, how the hell do you get in that drum kit? Cool setup

My humble bedroom setup.

I have a humble bedroom desk set up that I built from scratch with a few unique needs in mind;

1. It had to blend in withthe bedroom decor to keep my lovely wife happy;)
2. It had to protect my gear from two young kids and several cats.
3. I had to be able to open and record in a few minutes as I only get an hour or two a week to record.

So with out further adu I present transformer desk;

Attachments

• Recording Desk Closed Front(2)small.jpg
    Recording Desk Closed Front(2)small.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,894
  • Recording Desk Open Frontsmallsmall.jpg
    Recording Desk Open Frontsmallsmall.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,760
  • Recording Desk Open 2smallsmall.jpg
    Recording Desk Open 2smallsmall.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,619
  • Recording Desk Open Sidesmallsmall.jpg
    Recording Desk Open Sidesmallsmall.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,564
Last edited:
Hey Scott - I have the exact same tape deck -- nice piece!

Six months of planning, cutting, staining, gluing and eating sawdust and you like my cassete deck? Are you kidding me?

Just messing with ya - it struck me as funny when I started to thank you and realized you could have been referring to the tape deck or the desk. :eek:

Thanks Bruce! I got that tape deck after getting my first 4-track wich was after CD's came out but before MD recorders were out (and affordable) so I needed a good one to bounce and mix down to. Never gave me a single problem. Excellent results (for cassete) with the bias adjustment etc but it doesn't get much use now...I do have a couple of comercial cassetes that I love and went out of print before CD's that I may burn to my AW16G for a little tweaking and then to CD for longevity.

BTW I saw part of an "American Hotrod" episode on Discovery Channel and there was a "newbie" in the shop using your nickname Blue Bear! Definately not you though. :eek:

How about a "girl's" studio? The set-up is based on a horse shoe design. The vocal booth is a small closet (I'm a small person) that uses rechargable batteries, so as not to generate heat OR noise. Pics are on my site on the studio page.

thewifey,

I see from your bio that you are from Kansas. Do you still live in that general area? I'm in Wichita and have a small studio setup to record Christian artists, also, as well as stuff I do for our church. It's cool to see other studios doing similar stuff.

Looks like you've added some minor acoustic treatment (the corner trap, I presume) as well as a nicely arrayed space. I would think, though, that the monitors are a bit high for critical mixing.

As Fitz said, welcome to the board.

Cheers,
Darryl.....

No, I'm not in Kansas anymore Toto LOL. I left there in 80 and moved to the upper mid-west. I've only done a small number of other artists in my studio b/c I didn't get enough time in there myself. However two weeks ago I became the casualty of "downsizing" after 17.5-years. Now I have LOTS of time on my hands, though won't turn the studio into recording for pay.
The monitors would be too low if I was sitting, but since I'm standing they are at a good height. The "acoustic" treatment was a simple "cheap fix". I took inexpensive cealing tiles that had fiberglass backing and taked them up into the corners, backwards!

Last edited:
Back