Left Over OC705 Scraps - What about "this"?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
I have some left over OC705 scraps (6 lb/cubic foot fiberglass insulation), from making some tri-corner traps a while ago, since I had to really knife them up to get them into a triangle shape and bevel the inside edge so it fits neatly in the upper corner of wall/ceiling...Some pieces are maybe a 2' X 0.5', some are 5 inches by 5 inches, some are...you get the point - they're all random (so I can't make these into a panel style trap). I have about 3/4 of a garbage bag filled with these scraps.

As of now, they are sitting in my garage, likely absorbing dampness and getting smellier (that stuff already smells pretty wrank). I figure, you can never have too much low-end absorption, and I already have enough broadband absorption in my control room. At first, I thought "Well I could literally just put this garbage bag full of scraps straight into the control room, in one of the floor/wall corners, preferable behind my side rack (which is next to my desk), on the floor so you can't see it." I was using the theory that if you have a reflective surface on the outside of your bass trap, it will absorb more bass and less/no high frequencies. Then I remembered that, one side needs to be uncovered (the side facing wall). So I'm not sure how I'd do this...I was thinking of maybe putting it inside a fabric bag (duffle bag?) that is acoustically breathable, and line the one side facing out with some butcher paper (waxy/glossy side facing out), and stand the bag on it's end, so it's like a cylindrical shape standing tall. Lean the top end against the wall, and leave some space between the bottom end and the wall so there's is some better absorption.

Any other ideas though? Is there some sort of floor bass trap you guys/gals think I could make that would be a little less ghetto or perform a little better than my hobo duffle bag idea?

I know this likely won't make a huge difference in my low end absorption, having it on the floor behind a reflective rack unit and all, but I figured it would be somewhat better adding this to what's already treated in the room.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

The plastic material around the bag should not affect it much for low frequency waves. You should be fine keeping it in a plastic bag like you originally had in mind - no need to go the standing a duffel bag on its side route. I wouldn't expect it to do much, like you expect, but it would be worth trying if you would just otherwise toss it. It could have a decent impact!

The plastic material around the bag should not affect it much for low frequency waves. You should be fine keeping it in a plastic bag like you originally had in mind - no need to go the standing a duffel bag on its side route. I wouldn't expect it to do much, like you expect, but it would be worth trying if you would just otherwise toss it. It could have a decent impact!

Thanks Alexander!
I went and bought a 10" diameter concrete form tube, and thought I could make it look a little neater/cleaner by filling it up with the scraps as high as it fills, and cutting it to the appropriate height. Cover the top and bottom with some garden bed liner fabric and then wrapping the tube in some fabric that matches the decor. Although I haven't spent the time yet.

Think that would help any better? If not, perhaps I'll just chuck that idea and go the original lazy path of least resistance, and hope the wife doesn't notice a garbage bag full of smelly fiberglass in the house! hahaha

Last edited:
I take it you are talking about Sonotubes?

It might work, but being a much more rigid surface than a plastic bag it would be hard to know. Perhaps you could still use the tube, but cut out large holes in it so that it is not fully reflective. Covering it with fabric would of course hide the holes for the most part, so I see it as a possible solution. Might as well put the scraps to good use, and sonotubes are quite inexpensive!

I take it you are talking about Sonotubes?

It might work, but being a much more rigid surface than a plastic bag it would be hard to know. Perhaps you could still use the tube, but cut out large holes in it so that it is not fully reflective. Covering it with fabric would of course hide the holes for the most part, so I see it as a possible solution. Might as well put the scraps to good use, and sonotubes are quite inexpensive!

I don't think I've heard of the name"Sonotube" but I just remember reading about cylinder tube traps and thought I'd try it out. Great idea about the holes. I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

Back