Layout and treatment advice for a unique floor plan

GuitarRock04

Studio Floor Plan.png

I'm hoping I can appeal to those more knowledgeable than I for some help in optimum layout and treatment for home studio space. I've recently moved, and I get one section of the finished, open basement for studio use. I'm replacing the carpet with laminate flooring, and want to take the opportunity for revising layout when I put everything back.

The attached sketch shows the studio section, in one leg of the 'L.' I currently have the console against the back wall and drums are facing outward, towards the main part of the basement. I have old office cubicle walls propped in the corners, at 45' angles, as bass traps. I have had the worst time tracking drums. I imagine it both source issues and playback/mixing. I can get something sounding great in studio, and absolutely horrible anywhere else. I feel as though I'm getting some pretty hardcore interference that's skewing everything.

Any guidance for layout or treatment to make the best use of space available would be appreciated.

I have an "L" shaped studio as well. I put my drum kit in the middle of the larger area. Put in a shit ton of treatment. Instead of laminate I painted my concrete floor, cheaper and looks and sounds just as good. If I had the cash, I'd put down some real hardwood flooring. But I don't believe that wound be a bang for the buck sound improvement. So anyway I'm trying to save up enough for some higher end monitors, it's difficult with life getting in the way.

Office cubicle walls are not bass traps. You need at least 4" thick rockwool (or build triangular superchunks) in the corners. Having the drums there is definitely not going to work- you've got the near reflections from the 'studio' side and the longer reflections form the big side. Anyway you can move the drums out into the big room when recording?

Thanks for your responses.

I am not opposed to moving the drums out for tracking, but there is other 'stuff' in the larger portion. I would not necessarily be able to center them in the larger portion. Would not there still be near and long reflections?

I am not opposed to walling off the designated studio area. Particularly if there would be a useful (from permeability perspective) temporary or portable solution.

I had the cubicle walls placed at 45 degrees in the corner. There is some air volume behind them, though it is not contained, as the walls don't reach the ceiling. I think you're suggesting that the entire corner volume should be filled with rockwool?

Using something like Brandt's room mode calculator, how is the length versus volume compensated for a non-cubic space? I assume the ideal monitoring position would be based on length going all the way to the back wall - 13'3"x41'2" in this case. The room obviously has a larger volume, but I am uncertain how to account for the interactions.

Again, any help appreciated.

Although a 13x17 room is ok for mixing (and certainly more space than I have!) I don't think it would be adequate for live drum tracking.

Yes, rockwool from floor to ceiling. If there was enough space behind those wwall panels you could just stuff in full rolls of pink fiberglass insulation, but right now you are not absorbing bass.

Back