lack of bass in room

thomaswomas

i've recently moved into my girlfriends house and she's been kind enough to let me set up my studio in the spare bedroom.

after i started to do my first mix in the room, i noticed there was a distinct lack of bass from my system. there's no acoustic treatment there, but i was mixing in my bedroom in my parents house before then with no treatment and it sounded fine.

i tried moving my system round the room but nowhere seemed to have any bass.

i know to add absorbtion panels in the corners to reduce bass boominess but what would i do to a room to bring the bass back into my mixes.

thanks

i know to add absorbtion panels in the corners to reduce bass boominess but what would i do to a room to bring the bass back into my mixes.

Bass traps are the solution to all bass problems. If the room has too little bass while you listen, that means you have deep nulls that bass traps will improve. If your mixes have too little bass that means you're hearing too much bass while mixing, and bass traps fix that too.

--Ethan

Just a bit off field, check the monitors are in phase, if they are out of phase=no bass.

Cheers

Alan.

here's a rough image of my room with the homemade acoustic panels i've currently got. there is a window on the wall to the left of the mixing desk with no curtains, just a venetian blind:

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/simong29/roombirdseye.jpg

i've looked into how i can improve the bass in my room and have come up with this solution:

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa211/simong29/room3d.jpg

am i heading down the right path with this idea. will i need more panels in different areas of the room.

Your plan is fine to the front wall/side.
It´s an excellent idea treat the front wall/ceiling corner,and a cloud beside this trap (above your head, sure),is even better.In fact, the more "surrounded" by traps you´re in in the front portion of room, the better (read SBIR).At least in a small space...

But some nasty nulls in a small room (what´s the dimensions?) comes from the rear wall.See what I did here (seems you have a door too?).
Note that the wall/ceiling corner is treated.The traps are 4" with 2"gap, and the center one(half in the pic) is 6"+4" gap.The opposite side has the same treatment.

Ciro

Attachments

• Rear Wall.jpg
    Rear Wall.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 277
Seems a good plan.

This plus a software measurement for check the best response + mix and speakers placement.
In a small room, like this seems to be, moving the speakers
3" or 4" can be the difference by the "golden point" for another in a strong null point, and a software will show this + the decay times and modal ringin with a fast sweep (5s or so).
I use Room Eq Wizard.

Ciro

Back