John Mansville R-30 vs Roxul Safe 'n' Sound for Superchunk Bass Traps (and other ?'s)

Yeah, GIK corrected me on pink fluffy a few weeks ago, but it takes considerable space. A studio or bedroom like the one in question might not have that luxury.

To the OP, Johns Manville does offer a rigid fibreboard product very similar to OC703. I have some panels and I find it easier to work with than OC703.

Hi,

Just curious which fibreboard product you're referring to? I can't seem to find OC703 here, but I think Lowe's carry's both Roxul and John Manville - I was looking at these: Sound & Fire Block Mineral Wool | JM.com

Would those work for building bass traps (similar idea to OP)? or would you recommend a better product by JM?

Thanks!

Hi,

Just curious which fibreboard product you're referring to? I can't seem to find OC703 here, but I think Lowe's carry's both Roxul and John Manville - I was looking at these: Sound & Fire Block Mineral Wool | JM.com

Would those work for building bass traps (similar idea to OP)? or would you recommend a better product by JM?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!!

I honestly can't remember what JM product I bought. I doubt it's available at Lowe's or Home Depot. I got mine from a building material supplier. You won't find Owens Corning OC703 at Lowe's either. Google SPI and see if there is one near you. There is a stickie at the top of this forum for their website.

Certainteed also makes an analogous product to OC703. It was called OEM 300 if I recall correctly.

All options I found were special order with minimum quantities and only at the big contractor supply insulation warehouses here in the Milwaukee area. I actually have a case (12 2"-thick sheets) left over due to the minimum quantity deal. Oh, well. I'm sure I've got a friend that will use it for a home theater or something someday, or I could always put it on Craigslist.

Back