Isolation/vocal booth - Dimensions and material advise needed

Isolation and treatment are the same steps as long as you keep the hard reflective surfaces on the outside. The OP is already planning on framing a room. The right way to do it is the way I described.

Well I guess that 1/2 drywall and 4 inches of pink fluffy is all that is needed then for sound proofing. I guess the rest of the pros have been doing it wrong all these years. It not a matter of who is right or wrong, it's how much money the OP will waste following the wrong advice to get the wrong results.

If the primary goal is sound proofing then moving blankets on a pvc pipe frame ain't worth a pish.

Whether or not some other suggestion is worth a pish isn't really relevant. That one isn't.

If the primary goal is sound proofing then moving blankets on a pvc pipe frame ain't worth a pish.

Whether or not some other suggestion is worth a pish isn't really relevant. That one isn't.

The fact that you have given no advice to the OP about their situation, only to condemn my response, is extremely unprofessional for a moderator in this community. As far as my comments not being worth a "Pish" in your mind, translate into I don't give a **** what you think in my mind. How about we just wait for the OP to chime back in when they spend their money, and see if the cost was worth the effort for sound proofing. Lets see if they wasted their money or not. Tha't why I made the comment about the blankets and if that bothers you, then maybe you should add me to your ignore list so you don't have to read my replies! This comment is not showing you disrespect and there is no reason you should ban me for responding directly to you!

It might help cool the situation and help the OP understand why ABSORBENT material will not help to give the physical reasons?

Although he wants to prevent sound getting out, any 'treatment' he does will be just as effective on sound ingress.

Take a bare, reverberant room and put in a goodly amount of absorbent (GR, RW, duvets!) The sound level exiting the room will drop. BUT SO WILL THE LEVEL INSIDE THE ROOM! Net result? You 'gain' precious little. It is quite obvious that if you could absorb ALL the sound in the room you would never bother folks!

Sound must be stopped by 'mass' p'board, better brick walls...But! Even a tiny leak, 25mm hole will allow the transmission of as much sound as a 50ft* solid wall so all has to be airtight. Then, any connections, cables, ducts etc must be compliant so as not to transmit sound and last of all is mounting the whole room on a compliant base.
I think it can be seen that doing the above is going to be very expensive and impractical unless you have a very large space to begin with.

Them's are the 'facts' as I recall them. Now, kiss and make up FFS!

*I might have that dimm' wrong but the concept is valid

Dave.

Back