Isolating live room from control room

BuildingStudios

... hello
ok heres my situation. My studio is in one of those office/warehouse buildings, im sure you've all seen them. Its pretty much a big warehouse with rooms built inside of it for offices. well my control room and live room are seperated only by a 2x4 stud wall with plaster board on each side (generaly interior wall construction). I need alot more isolation than i currently have (I know with the construction it wont be perfect) Drums are going to be the main problem.
I have some ideas on what to do... but what would ya'l do in this situaltion... ohh yeah... I also want to install a window between the 2 rooms... im sure this will factor in to how much isolation i can get.

ps: Building another room inside of one of these rooms is not really an option... Im pretty much limited to homemade isolation techniques.
Thanks in advance
Paul

I have already read that. There is some stuff in there that is applicable to my situation, but alot of it seemed to be more about if you are constructng a studio from scratch... like i said befor I
do not have the means to float my live room... or create another room inside of it...
My original plan (which that site had a large part in formulating) was to make alot of thick gobos... and cover the wall that connects the two rooms with extra plaster board, and partical board of varying sizes, mabey some carpet pading (the stuff that goes under your carpet).
The main reason i wrote this thread is to see if mabey anyone here has been in a similar situation... and could tell me what they did, and how well it worked.
Hehehe... i mean... i could be completly insane and this project might never work...
But thanks for your reply ausrock
Paul

What you need to aim for is some way of "decoupling" the two rooms from each other as much as is possible.

Suggestion #1; If possible build a second wall, either inside or outside the existing wall. Make it so that it can be dismantled and removed if necessary in the future..........BUT make sure it is air-tight around all the edges and use heavy (dense) wall sheeting and rockwool insulation between the two walls.

Suggestion #2; Sheet the existing wall with appropriate heavy sheeting, but mount the sheets on resilient (furring) channel to achieve some degree of decoupling. Again seal all joins to make it air-tight.

Try and aim for density with minimal contact between the inside and outside of the wall(s) and make it air-tight.

:cool:

I think Ausrock has the right advice. Probably your cheapest option will be to install another layer of drywall mounted on RC channel on your "liveroom" side. Use 5/8-in gypsum sheets. If you want more isolation, glue a second layer onto the first (1/2-in) with the seams staggered. Place a bead of caulk along the floor and mud & tape all of the other joints to get a good air seal. For the window, build yourself a frame and glaze in two thick sheets of glass slightly off parrallel from one another with an air space in between. Be sure and install some absorptive beads in between or you will get moisture condensing.

Alex

Back