Isolating iMac from desk

flextone

Hi guys,

I moved my 20" alu iMac to a new room and put it on a cheap ikea desk. The vibration from the computer makes the table hum, a low frequency hum, which stops if I lift the iMac in the air. I never noticed this when it stood on a chunkier table. Putting a mouse pad underneath it didn't help at all. I also tried putting those felt stickers under the iMac's leg but still no luck.

Any ideas how to isolate it from the table?

Finally, a use for foam in a studio. :D Find some chunks of foam to put under the corners of your computer.

I chalk this up to one more reason that a PC is superior to a Mac.

*ducks and runs for cover* :D:D:D

On a more serious note, check the fans (if there are any) in your case. A vibration could be indicative of a fan bearing going bad or just a dirty fan.

The fans are fine, it's just the fake wood ikea cheapo desk. The comparison between a PC and an iMac in this respect is not fair, unless the PC case is sitting on your table.

Aside from the fact that I'm a PC user, I was totally kidding about the PC vs Mac thing. :D:p

If it isnt the fans, then what is the source of the vibration? Fans and hard drives are pretty much the only moving parts in my computer....

Back