Isolate Guitar/Bass Cabs?

mike59271

Currently I have a small 12x12 recording room in the works. Im currently building my desk and other furniture for the room but I am trying to think of a way to isolate my guitar and bass cabs. Since I don't have the luxury of a control room I have to listen to really loud amps, something that I'm sure many of you know gets tedious when your working for upwards of 10 hours. Anyways, I was thinking maybe i can put up a partial wall between my workstation desk (There would be an L lip on it) and the cabs would be in the corner of the room sort of. I was wounding if anyone had any experience with this. Ill try to make some sort of diagram tonight to better illustrate my point but for the time being does anyone have any helpful tips from their own experiences you would like to share?

You could build some gobos but that's not total isolation maybe just sacrifice a small 2x4 area and build an iso booth for the amps.

Im sorry but what is a Gobo? Is that a bass trap? If it is a bass trap i was planning on putting them in the 3 available corners in the room from the floor to the cieling entirely. I was researching Iso Booths but i dont really understand them very well. Do you have any links or literature you would mind directing me towards?

You could build iso booths for your cabs, sure. You'd just need to make holes in an otherwise airtight box to run cables, and then fill the holes with acoustic sealant and cover with a baffle, filled with acoustic sealant. Float the booth on neoprene pucks.

But why?

Are you recording bands live, or tracking one instrument at a time?

Under what circumstances would you be listening to loud guitars for 10 hours?

You could always get a power brake, such as the THD hotplate, to get the kind of gain you're looking for at lower volume.

Here are the circumstances:

Primarily I will be tracking one instrument at a time, actually in almost all cases. Also, no drums. Only Electric Guitar and Bass Cabs will be mic'd along with acoustic guitar.

When I said 10+ hours, what i meant was when im trying to record something, if im experimenting with riffs, tones etc and this keeps going then ill be having these amps cranked for extended periods of time which wears me out to be honest.

I've found that my Mic'd recordings come through best when the amps are cranked at high volume levels so anything to minimize what I am hearing and still retain the caliber of recording quality I am used to getting would be seriously beneficial to my writing process.

Do you have any suggested tutorials for building an ISO BOOTH? Possibly any sites that you have found that yield the best results with their ISO BOOTH designs...

Thanks again

EDIT: I forgot to add that mobility is paramount. I need to construct something that will achieve the benefits of an ISO BOOTH but be able to dismantle it to take my rig elsewhere for gigs etc...The primary goal here is to minimize the level of the cab while recording so i can hear the song im tracking to in my headphones as apposed to having the cab overbearing and me being unable to balance the two levels...

A nice 5 watt amp will sound Hugh in your recordings and no one will know the difference.Send your bass through a Di box problem solved.
Gobos are walls on wheels for separation.

^^^^This^^^^^

As far as plans go, how hard is it to design an airtight box?

So design an airtight box with a removable lid and cable channels.

Send bass direct or use a Pod. Apart from performing, we rarely mic a bass cab.

Also, if there is any way you can prevent your room from being 12'x12' it will seriously help your acoustics.

Also, if there is any way you can prevent your room from being 12'x12' it will seriously help your acoustics.

Yes i know about this through my research. Now i cant completely angle one of the walls but i was thinking maybe i can make one of those GOBOS like you were saying and if i make it tall enough i can angle it in one of the corners and i assume this will help a lot with my first and second reflections. Is that an accurate assumption?

Yes i know about this through my research. Now i cant completely angle one of the walls but i was thinking maybe i can make one of those GOBOS like you were saying and if i make it tall enough i can angle it in one of the corners and i assume this will help a lot with my first and second reflections. Is that an accurate assumption?

Gobos will help, but they're not a magic bullet. Are you renting?

Also, and this is just a speculation, is it possible that a mic'd cab inside an airtight box is going to sound really terrible?

It's good to have a "plan B".

iso_cab_nearly_finished.jpg

I ended up building an isolation cab with 12 inch speaker for recording guitar. Its allows the guitarist to crank it up without killing my ears. You can see it hear. The door hasn't been completed yet.

Back