Ikea room divider marketed as "sound absorbing"...

Ytakary

I came across this and saw that they are advertising them as a sound absorber, along with some photos of them being used to isolate a drum kit. Do you think this could actually be effective for a crude early reflection treatment? Or is it just a cheap marketing trick?
IKEA PS 2017 Room divider - IKEA

I can believe it will definitely knock out "some" noise...It definitely has me scratching my head .....Imagine if we could buy this in 100' rolls 8' tall? Collapsable soundproofing walls. I snapped a close up of the configuration...also imagine if you doubled it up....that's a lot of air in between... IKEA is walking distance from my shack so I'll go by today and check it out...

On the imagine thing the "felt" could be made much thicker say 1/8" or 1/4" collapsible sound walls that could be stored conveniently away if you didn't need quiet...hmmmm or just set in place between two sheets of drywall with spacers ...got me thinking....

felt.jpg

Hmm yeah good point, I hadn't considered doubling up... I'm about to move into a room with some pretty funky stereo imaging going on so I'm going to need some sort of absorbent partition. For the price, I feel I may as well give it a try and report back. Worst case scenario, I'll have a privacy screen for friends crashing on the sofa :)

Look forward to feedback after you get a chance to use it. I would think it would be mostly high mid to highs that would get reduced but who knows until you try

Something's not right in the description - it says the depth is 15-3/4" - maybe that's the flimsy stand that supports it? At $50 ....

If you stuffed it with some type of dense insulation it would work better. Also it would double as a diffuser of sorts.

Of course the insulation would defeat the collapsible aspect of it.

Ikea has great stuff and I'm amazed at all the studio purposed 'Ikea hacks' I've seen.
This one has potential. :D

Dude that first one looks like an interrogation room. :D

Do you speak from experience? :p

;)

About the only thing that felt harmonica wall is going to be good for is taming some noise in the typical office/speech range.
The picture of the drum kit being isolated...is misleading, and total BS.

If those were solid felt tubes...like 4" of solid felt...it would do a decent job, but that thin felt harmonica will do little to isolate or reduce sound to where it matters in a recording situation.
The way it is...it's equivalent to maybe putting up a nice felt horse blanket. So it would be OK for say...reducing some flutter echo and early reflections...like for vocal use in a lousy, reverberant room...but not much more than that.

"And the design makes the divider stable while forcing the sound to bounce around, which absorbs even more sound."

WTF...? :D
Bounce around where...?...and how would that absorb even more sound...???
The designer is just tossing out nonsense.

So it would be OK for say...reducing some flutter echo and early reflections...like for vocal use in a lousy, reverberant room...but not much more than that.

Yeah that's all I would need it for.

There's another one they are also touting as sound absorbing...
BEKANT Screen for desk - 120 cm - IKEA

For this one, they've given some stats:

"This screen has been tested for sound absorption set forth in the following standards: ISO 354 and SS 25269"

I'll be honest and admit I have no idea how that translate to addressing mids and highs... any thoughts?

It's most likely s foam core covered with that cloth surface.
Typical office style partition, not unlike what you see with many office cubicles...this just has a more simple design and support structure.

It's not going do more than hanging a blanket would do, though it will look a little cleaner/neater.
Only problem is...it's too low for vocals...so you then have to jury-rig it up higher, and that might be a PITA.

What's the price on that in USD...I'm not use what currency they are using on that website?

It's most likely s foam core covered with that cloth surface.
Typical office style partition, not unlike what you see with many office cubicles...this just has a more simple design and support structure.

It's not going do more than hanging a blanket would do, though it will look a little cleaner/neater.
Only problem is...it's too low for vocals...so you then have to jury-rig it up higher, and that might be a PITA.

What's the price on that in USD...I'm not use what currency they are using on that website?

Ah yeh that was the Korean site (where I'm living). It's about 100 USD I believe - probably a little less in the US stores. Either way, it's double the price of the first one. If it's not going to make much if a difference, I'll probably go for the first one as it's cheaper and collapsible. Won't hold my breath for anything spectacular though!

Both are designed to quiet a noisy slap echo sounding room full of hard surfaces and make it more pleasant to work or live in. It's not really going to soundproof. It would make a living room or office nicer to work in but thats about it. Could also make the home cinema room a little better if your not too fussy.

Alan.

how many db can be reduced after using this product?

I would not count on much db reduction as it's not a sound proofing solution. It could help with room acoustics in a bad room but is more designed to make your office or lounge sound better and quieter due to the reduction of slap echos and reflections.

Alan.

Why don't you use soundproof room dividers. These are a series of sliding folding room divider systems, including a series of flat panels (each up to 1220mm), hinged together to form a flush appearance when closed. The sliding sound proof room dividers are manipulated on a ceiling-mounted track system.

Back