If you could build your own studio from scratch....

Bruthish

Hair Metal Roxx!
In the next 6-8 months we are going to be building a two-bay RV post built barn. The wife has already said I could us half of the second side for a studio. So that will be approx. 12'x20' or a little larger.

Obviously I will be doing the "room within a room" to prevent most all noise from escaping.

If you were in the same situation....building a room from scratch what would be the most important things to incorporate as far as design? In my old studio from years back, I had a mixing room and a recording room which was really nice but not sure how necessary it really is. I would like to be able to record a live drum kit if needed also.

Any thoughts?

Do you really need to keep all sound in/out? Room within a room is going to knock a foot or more off each dimension, and once you add inside acoustic treatment, even less room. Unless you've got 2X that amount of space, don't contemplate a mixing or control room. Everything is going to sound better in a decent-size room rather than a couple of small rooms.

Plus don't forget the multiple wheelbarrows of money. Whatever you think it is going to cost, multiple it by 3 times at a minimum. Why so much? Unless you want to suffocate in there, you're going to need HVAC and not just any ordinary stuff either. Even after all that, you still might have to shut off all the fans and blowers during crucial takes and mixing/mastering sessions.

and for the love of all that is good and decent, post some pictures when you're done so we can live vicariously through you :D

Room within a room is going to knock a foot or more off each dimension, and once you add inside acoustic treatment, even less room.
If you actually build the inside room properly with "inside out walls", most of the treatment is already done. In fact, the trick will be strategically placing reflective surfaces so that is not too dead. It might still want some bass trapping in corners, but that doesn't have to be terribly intrusive.

Isolation will also depend heavily on the outer room, though. It should also be well sealed and properly insulated. IDK exactly what an "RV post built barn" is, but I'm picturing two big garage door type things. Those are impossible to seal and insulate properly. Maybe just don't install one on your side and leave a solid wall there instead. If necessary, frame in the doorway and add a semi-permanent "plug wall" so it can be converted back to spec at a later date. Ideally, put a wall right down the middle and split the space completely. Better yet, build it as two buildings. :)

But then think about the gear in your studio that makes unwanted acoustic noise when it's operating. Computers are the big one, but some of the standalone multitracks are pretty noisy too. Anything with a motor or fan. I guarantee that if you actually get decent isolation, those things are suddenly going to sound extremely loud. Think about maybe leaving a bit of space outside the inner studio room where you can stick those things.

If you were in the same situation....building a room from scratch what would be the most important things to incorporate as far as design?

I would leave the RV parked outside and build the studio 24' x 20'...seriously.

12'x20' for a room-within-room design for soundproofing, plus adding acoustic treatment for sound quality...it isn't going to be all that big inside when it's done, especially when you start talking separate control room/live room and recording drums and all that...and when you add all the studio gear.

I would leave the RV parked outside and build the studio 24' x 20'...seriously.

12'x20' for a room-within-room design for soundproofing, plus adding acoustic treatment for sound quality...it isn't going to be all that big inside when it's done, especially when you start talking separate control room/live room and recording drums and all that...and when you add all the studio gear.

The barn is going to be at least 40’ deep and 30’ wide. If the RV does not go in, the barn does not get built. Simple as that. As it is now I am usually forced to mix on cans because rarely am I home when no one else is(work 3rd shift) so getting a place that I can mix at anytime without disturbing anyone will be in my best interest.

Well then grab as much of the 40' x 30' space for the studio...and leave just enough space for the RV to get tucked in. :)

A mixing space is one thing, and 12'x20' is plenty...but for tracking, you need a bit more room. I know, I'm in a 14' x 24' space, and it's tight, I can just make do, plus I have the option to use other, adjoining rooms if need be.

If you actually build the inside room properly with "inside out walls", most of the treatment is already done. In fact, the trick will be strategically placing reflective surfaces so that is not too dead. It might still want some bass trapping in corners, but that doesn't have to be terribly intrusive.

Isolation will also depend heavily on the outer room, though. It should also be well sealed and properly insulated. IDK exactly what an "RV post built barn" is, but I'm picturing two big garage door type things. Those are impossible to seal and insulate properly. Maybe just don't install one on your side and leave a solid wall there instead. If necessary, frame in the doorway and add a semi-permanent "plug wall" so it can be converted back to spec at a later date. Ideally, put a wall right down the middle and split the space completely. Better yet, build it as two buildings. :)

But then think about the gear in your studio that makes unwanted acoustic noise when it's operating. Computers are the big one, but some of the standalone multitracks are pretty noisy too. Anything with a motor or fan. I guarantee that if you actually get decent isolation, those things are suddenly going to sound extremely loud. Think about maybe leaving a bit of space outside the inner studio room where you can stick those things.

A “post barn” is built with wood internally verses metal. Really wouldn’t matter though since I wouldn’t be attaching the room to any of it except the concrete floor. It will be insulated loosely. The main reason for doing all of this is to have a place to play and mix that won’t disturb anyone. We live “out in the country” but there are a few neighbors within shouting distance. I am currently operating in a 12’x12’ room in the basement now so anything larger will feel huge compared to it. Of course, I want to properly “treat” the room while in the designing stages. I will essentially have a rectangle room, but I seen people purposefully build in room angles and stuff to help with reflections. Probably overkill for my level of recording but as I get older(and hopefully better at recording), thoughts of wanting to record local musicians sound tempting.

Plus don't forget the multiple wheelbarrows of money. Whatever you think it is going to cost, multiple it by 3 times at a minimum. Why so much? Unless you want to suffocate in there, you're going to need HVAC and not just any ordinary stuff either. Even after all that, you still might have to shut off all the fans and blowers during crucial takes and mixing/mastering sessions.

and for the love of all that is good and decent, post some pictures when you're done so we can live vicariously through you :D

LOL! Yes I have been thinking about the HVAC part. The barn itself does not need it but the studio part will especially in winter time here it can get pretty cold. I have been looking at the wall units that do both heat and a/c and that would allow for the unit to remain “disconnected from the actual barn itself, but yes it would have to be turned off during takes which would be annoying.

Do you really need to keep all sound in/out? Room within a room is going to knock a foot or more off each dimension, and once you add inside acoustic treatment, even less room. Unless you've got 2X that amount of space, don't contemplate a mixing or control room. Everything is going to sound better in a decent-size room rather than a couple of small rooms.

That’s kinda where I was going with this post. Not sure I need to two separate room especially with the limited space and what my recording plans are in the future. I just don’t want to limit myself too much. The recording I do now is fine in one room but if I ever want to expand and do more I want to have that space available.

Back