Ideas on wiring my studio

SonicClang

Part 4720981 coming soon!
I've been building my studio for 5 1/2 years and it's finally to the point where I'm starting to look at wiring it up. I probably should have done research on this a while ago, but here I am. And I appologize if this has been brought up a million times and I should have searched, I just like joining the conversation and it's been years since I posted here.

I've got conduit from two points in the live room to the control room. In the live room I want to put points to plug mics into. I'm picturing this would be like the end of a snake, am I thinking of the wrong thing here?

Which brings me to the wire itself. Would I buy a roll of wire, cut a bunch of peices the same length, pull them through the conduit, and then put them into the patch bay? Or buy snake cable where they're all in one insulation? The second option wouldn't make sense. I pull wires through conduit all day at work and that wouldn't make sense.

So I guess I'm more or less looking for some advice on cables, boxes, patch bays, and the like.

And also, it's good to be back here after not posting here for a few years. I posted here when I first started building my studio under a dfferent name.

SonicClang said:
I've got conduit from two points in the live room to the control room. In the live room I want to put points to plug mics into. I'm picturing this would be like the end of a snake, am I thinking of the wrong thing here?

On the live room side it's nice to wire into panels, but the snake approach works fine in the control room.

Which brings me to the wire itself. Would I buy a roll of wire, cut a bunch of peices the same length, pull them through the conduit, and then put them into the patch bay? Or buy snake cable where they're all in one insulation? The second option wouldn't make sense. I pull wires through conduit all day at work and that wouldn't make sense.

OK this I don't get. You'd rather pull 8 wires than one :confused: I'd use the snake cable.

Well yeah, 8 individual wires wouldn't be bad. I pull way more than that at work all the time. But if the "snake" style cable is commong and widely accepted I'll look into that.

Snake cable gives you more conductors for a given diameter than individual cables, though it's often stiffer to pull through tight bends.

Thank you for the advice. That's what I was thinking, the snake cable would be tuffer to pull through by its very nature. But it is good to know that there are actually more conductors for the thickness. I'll have to bring home some pulling gell to get the cable through the conduit.

So uh... where do I buy this cable?

Personally, I pulled individual cables (all Beldon). I'm always changing things around so it made more sense to do it that way.

Hey Track Rat, I remember you. I used to post under the name "Brian Grey". I've sinced moved on from calling myself that and now I'm Sonic Clang. :) Maybe you remember me, maybe not... It's been almost 5 years.

sonicclang.ringdev.com

I'm currently working on a pretty big project. cdoom.d3files.com. Check it out! :)

Thanks for the advice on the cables guys. I really apprecitate it.

Track Rat said:
Personally, I pulled individual cables (all Beldon). I'm always changing things around so it made more sense to do it that way.

It certainly could, especially depending on your layout. Do you want 2 jacks in each wall, or a panel of 8?

As many as possible. I ran inch and a quarter conduit. If I could get 8, 12, 16, whatever, I'd be happy. I've got two locations in the live room for boxes and one in the vocal booth. In the vocal booth I'd realistically only need 4 or so.

SonicClang said:
As many as possible. I ran inch and a quarter conduit. If I could get 8, 12, 16, whatever, I'd be happy. I've got two locations in the live room for boxes and one in the vocal booth. In the vocal booth I'd realistically only need 4 or so.

I would think you could fit 4 snake cables in pipe that big, that's 32 channels.

Don't forget headphone returns.

Yup, I wouldn't forget headphone returns. :)

I had no idea so many wires were in each. Does anyone have any useful links I can check out?

SonicClang said:
Thank you for the advice. That's what I was thinking, the snake cable would be tuffer to pull through by its very nature. But it is good to know that there are actually more conductors for the thickness. I'll have to bring home some pulling gell to get the cable through the conduit.

So uh... where do I buy this cable?

Not really. You can buy cable grease at any electrical contracting supply house which makes pulling it much easier.

Long time ago (late 80's) I was an electrical contractor, and I was hired to pull a 10" diameter snake (which we assembled) through 12" diameter underground condiut between two buildings. The snake consisted of hundred's of 600A power feeds (solid copper conductors), and slews of jacketed 48-strand fiber optic cabling.

We greased the hell out of it and used a gas-powered 20HP puller. Yanked it right through.

At... 2 inches a minute!

Anyway, snake cable is purchased from any of the mogomi/canaire/belden suppliers. Redco, whirlwind, etc. Even on e-bay. www.avcable.com, parts express, proaudiosuperstore.com, and about a billion others.

frederic said:
Not really. You can buy cable grease at any electrical contracting supply house which makes pulling it much easier.

Long time ago (late 80's) I was an electrical contractor, and I was hired to pull a 10" diameter snake (which we assembled) through 12" diameter underground condiut between two buildings. The snake consisted of hundred's of 600A power feeds (solid copper conductors), and slews of jacketed 48-strand fiber optic cabling.

We greased the hell out of it and used a gas-powered 20HP puller. Yanked it right through.

At... 2 inches a minute!

Anyway, snake cable is purchased from any of the mogomi/canaire/belden suppliers. Redco, whirlwind, etc. Even on e-bay. www.avcable.com, parts express, proaudiosuperstore.com, and about a billion others.

My 10 conductor 1/4" TS snake feels inferior now.

I'm an electronics technician, I pull wires through conduits all the time. I know pulling gell very well... too well actually. That stuff is just nasty when you get it all over your hands.

I have no problem pulling a snake through the conduit, I just wanted to make sure that people do that. I wasn't sure how it was done. If that's how people who build studios do it, I can do it that way no problem.

Back