I can only use half the room for a studio. Acoustic help?

clntgn

I'm on a pretty tight budget having just gotten married and moving into a small one bedroom apartment. Needless to say, my "home" studio is still at my parents house and will be for quite awhile. My parents would like to keep the room as a guest room, but are allowing me to use the other half for my music stuff. I've been doing a lot of research into how important it is to have some sort of acoustic treatment when you record and mix.

Here's a diagram and pictures of my room:
https://imgur.com/a/iOU8Q

Now my main questions are:
Where are going to be my main trouble spots?
What should I use for treatment?
How should I place the treatment?
Can I compensate for the other half of the room?

Obviously this a far from ideal situation and I'm still pretty amateur at this whole recording thing. I need to have something that won't be difficult to remove and will be relatively inexpensive. I'm selling some old gear and other things so I should have about $300 I can spend in total.

You didn't give dimensions on the room, so it's hard to judge what would be the best set up.
However, without dimensions, I would still recommend putting your desk in the center (or as close as can be) of the wall at the top - between closet door and room access door - about where the filing cabinet is. The corner spot (even a little way away from corner) is not good for monitoring - everything from your left monitor is going to have bass reflections building up in that corner.
Why is the piano in the middle of the room?
For your $300, build some 2'x4'x4" thick rockwool bass traps. You can put them in corners, use them as movable gobos. Cover them in a breathable cloth that fits the room décor so your mom doesn't get pissed! When you finally get a better place to record and mix, you can take them with you - use hook-and-eyes to hang them.

Sorry for the double post, but I have dimensions for the room:

8ft from floor to ceiling
14ft closet/window sides
11ft door/wall side

I also redrew the diagram of my room:
20160731_194819.jpg

Put your desk where you have the dresser in the little pic above. Not sure why you want to put something across the center of the room (first piano, now the desk). The room is too small for you to be able to put the desk at 2/3-1/3 of the way between the long dimensions of the room.

I only put the desk where you said to which is where the filing cabinet is.
I would still recommend putting your desk in the center (or as close as can be) of the wall at the top - between closet door and room access door - about where the filing cabinet is.

Not sure why you want to put something across the center of the room (first piano, now the desk).

I don't necessarily WANT to, but as I said in the original post I am working with limited space in the room that I am allowed. I simply wanted a way to separate my section of the room from the rest of the room.

Edit:

I have rearranged the room yet again.
20160802_212607.jpg

I've left the corners open to put the bass traps there when I build them. Are there any other things I can do that might help?

Last edited:
Back