Hum!!!!!!!!!

foreverain4

ok, i have a mackie 32-8 with the 8 busses going into a motu 2408mk3 and 24 tracks of adat on the direct outs. we had a storm the other night, now i have this really loud hum in my system. when i mute chanels either from adat or the motu returning into the board, it still stays the same. when i shut down my computer, its gone. anybody know what is up? am i screwed?!!

Did *anything* change other than the storm? Usually storm damage will be more severe - things break totally. Are you routing the cables in the same way? Are things plugged into their normal outlets? Hum typically means grounding issues.

Just some thoughts,
-lee-

nothing else has changed. i was working on my system. lightning struck and the power went off. so, i shut everything down. then the next day i had the hum.

Do you have any surge protectors connected to the wall outlets? Maybe they did their job at the time, but died in the process....

Just thinking,
-lee-

So what you're basically saying is, no computer, no hum, but, if you mute the tracks coming back from the motu there is hum?

I don't really know but that sounds like an electrical problem

We'll have to wait for a more enlightened response :D

Good luck,
Eric

Ground the computer chassis to the power strip - i.e. shove a wire under the lip on one of the cards (video, IDE, whatever) and attach the other end of the wire around the screw that holds the outlet cover on the outlet.

If it still hums, the problem is more than likely house related. If the hum magically goes away, replace your computer power supply.

i do have rack mounted surge protectors on all my equipment. i do have some power stripes, but those branch off the surge protectors.

that is right, there is a hum no matter what i mute. it is not just when i mute, but all the time. muting does not make it go away. whenever i just shut down my computer, it goes away. i will try grounding my computer directly to the outlet. thing is though, this building has very clean power. it is all 3 phase. the area used to be a machine shop.

foreverain4 said:
i do have rack mounted surge protectors on all my equipment. i do have some power stripes, but those branch off the surge protectors.

that is right, there is a hum no matter what i mute. it is not just when i mute, but all the time. muting does not make it go away. whenever i just shut down my computer, it goes away. i will try grounding my computer directly to the outlet. thing is though, this building has very clean power. it is all 3 phase. the area used to be a machine shop.

My suggestion will allow you to determine if the power supply in the computer is messed up, BEFORE you spend $45 to replace it :)

If you have a spare power supply, you can do that just as easily, I was just trying to save you $45 :)

And just because the surge supressors didn't blow, doesn't mean that a minor spike made it through and your tiawan-made barely-spec power supply went phhhhhhhhffft. :-D

hahaha! yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeahhhh! i figured it out. it was my LCD monitor. i had it plugged directly in to the wall. dont know why it would do it all the sudden though. this is the monitor that i have been using for the last 6 months. it has a walwart power supply. so i just had it plugged directly into the wall. all i did was plug it in to a power strip that was off my power conditioners and BAM, it was gone. i am just glad i didnt have to spend any money. thanx for ya'lls help.

Ha hah ha!

Wall warts suck! I had a single mic cable that came unattached from it restraint and was sitting like 2 inches from a wart.....HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Glad your happy!

SoMm

Back