How to treat my place help! (pics included)

sk0m

So this is my place (never mind my buddie pab)
i can afford anything from thoman on a 500 budget so tell me what and where to pu plz!!
007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Thats it tell me what where and how (plz)

wow its gona need a lot of search
i was looking for something more specific
like this there that over there... etc

I know, I wish it was that easy...
What are you doing in the space? Recording, Rehearsing? Both?
Scott.

i am recording amplifiers and vocals !and mixing with my monitors and the sound is not eaw and i want raw metal sound

Room acoustics may not be the solution to achieve this "Raw metal sound" that you speak of. Not sure if your gonna get "that sound" in your bedroom, no disrespect intended.

Also, Be ready to do research. Room acoustics is just one of your questions right? As you move forward with your efforts you will have many questions, I am sure of this. You may need to do "a lot of search" after all this is just the beginning.

As for room acoustics...Follow this link, take a look at the room in the picture...this is the optimum set up (for that size and shape room) your room is a different size and shape, but you can use the ideas from the link to get a better understanding of treating a room.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/room_setup.php

Again, good luck!
Scott.

You might not get that raw metal sound you speak of but I think you will be happier with room treatment. Do you use plugins, vsts, or any hardware for manipulating your sound? You eq and multitrack stuff etc. right? Cause if you can get a clean sound and learn how to use all that other stuff you can acheive some pretty good sounds.

Im no expert but Ive read alot of room treatments on this website. And every room seems to have somewhat the same treatments. Bass traps and acoustic panels and usually Ive noticed only bigger rooms need diffusers. So with only $500 you are definitely going to want to be a DIY'er to save the most money.

In a book I have "Home Recording for Dummies" the author says a basic sound treatment is owens corning 703 behind your monitors, above your head, behind you and to, the sides of your ears for mixing.

I dont know if this is exactly correct but maybe it will invite more professionals to correct me and give you better exacts of what to do.

Your room isnt realy ideal because you can't exactly put stuff where you want since your also living in it. So you just do what you can. Because your budget I would do two 2'x4'x2" (mainly to save space) of owens corning behind your speakers monitors and computer monitor however possible. I would relocate that shelf behind you and put up two or three 2'x4'x6" Bass traps. Also another one on the wall by the window. In your space probably put 4" bass traps along the back ceiling behind you on an angle as much as possible. And then two above you at the computer.

Sounds like a lot of work but if you want to get better recordings and more accurate sound everything I've read says you need to stop reflections and thats what acoustic panels and bass traps do, obviously to different degrees per thickness etc.

I've read alot of Ethan Winers articles and posts and alot of responses to peoples posts getting help to treat their space, like I said so I'm kinda just generalizing it. Scott or anyone else please feel free to correct me. Just tryin to help out since I seen him post a few times with limited responses.

I left out the closet space because I dont think you want to hang anything on them doors right? Although if you are willing to make custom sized panels out of 703 to fit it will help and Ive heard of people using very strong velcro and sticking acoustic panels that way.

I think you can accomplish all that for $500 if you dont make wood frames and just wrap stuff in fabric and hang them that way. Treating the angles by the ceiling i would imagine are the hardest to hang. And I personally dont want wood frames above my head anyway.

Acoustimac.com has hardware to hang and corner pieces for non wood frame panels to give you clean corners still.

Although i think if your doing panels without wood frames you could still put a thin piece of wood behind the OC fiberglass so that you can attach z-clips.

There are other places to get supplies online too. Hardware stores might have substitutes for z-clips etc.

Is that a light switch on the wall by the bed? What are the other things on the wall by the bed? lol Is that hardwired or wireless?

im not an expert but try cleaning the place up a little bit.

read this article for a basic rundown on acoustics, theres better articles but i think this one applys to your situation.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/recording/a-basic-guide-to-acoustic-treatment/

this is the part you should def read though

"Every room is unique and everything in the space will effect its sound. Wall angles, flooring, windows, doors and of course its overall shape will all dramatically change the way sound is perceived within the room. The first thing to do in any situation is to identify the problem areas in your room and home in on the issues that need to be addressed. It's possible that some things can be rectified before any acoustic treatment is even purchased."

basically you have stuff all over your floor, your walls, your shelfs everywhere and that will be causing mayhem for the sound travelling through your room.

the first thing i would do is take everything that you dont use for recording and put it either in your cupboard, or find a new place for it. because any or all of this stuff could be degrading your recordings to a certain degree.

if you look at the last 2 pictures you have you see you would have a pretty decent sized area to work with if your shelfs where empty and all the stuff was picked up.

i would get rid of the posters on the wall, move your amps, tear down the shelfs completly, move your school bag, everything like that so that the space is completly bare and empty. then start treatment on the room.

google search DIY bass traps and broadband absorption, diffusor panels, or even just type recording studio acoustics, and learn everything you can. a good place to start is always to put bass traps the corners, and a few panels in well chosen places to absorb mid-high frequencys. seems like nearly everybody does these basic ways to improve sound, so you should be safe with that.

theres all kinds of testing tools availble that you can test what the different problems are with your room, with this info you can better combat the actual problems, which could save you alot of time and money. again hit up the forums and google search, it will be your best friend when learning to set up a studio by yourself.

if you want a better sounding room, be prepared to spend alot of time on researching how to do it, and even more time setting it all up. its not an over night solution. ive been reading up on the subject for 2 or 3 years now and i still no very little about it.

oh yeah and plan it out very well before you do anything! even with a plan, people make mistakes so without one, your setting yourself up for failure.

good luck with the room.

thnx for the info man i found it very usefull there is only one problem
this room is my whole house! (yep i live in one room and the other is toilet)
so i cant take the selfs of so u propose that i bass trap under the shelfs?(this is wha i thought and treat the rest of the room as proposed?
(i also thought when recording to place alla the things u mentioned in my closets)

You're getting some good help, but I'll post my usual list of preliminaries just to get you started:

• Make sure you setup so that you’re firing down the longest dimension of the room.
• Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
• Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
• Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
• Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
• Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
• The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.
• In the case of larger rooms you can use diffusion on the right and left walls near the rear of the room, between your bass traps on the back wall or on the ceiling to the rear of your ceiling panels.

Frank

Yeah so ideally you would put bass traps in the corners on an angle but since you cant cause thats where the bed is, unless you dont mind having it up higher.

Like I said, your room is not ideal and your not able to do it ideally so just try you best. The only way I see you bass trapping corners is the ceiling corner all the way across.

As far as the shelf. If it absolutely can not be moved then yeah i would put the bass traps under the shelf. 2'x4'x6". Measure to see if they'd fit.

I guess by the bed you could do bass traps very close to the corner flat on the wall instead of angular since you cant really angle it since the bed is there.

But above your mixing position on the ceiling and along the ceiling on the back wall I think will be critical. And when you move you can ALWAYS reuse these so its not room specific. Add wood frames if you want etc. etc.

I've moved my panels into 3 different spaces so far. Now the 4th.

does anyone know what them 2"x2" square things around the room? I see three or 4 in the room and 2 or 3 in the hallway....

One is right by the door like its a light switch but then why have more around the room?

Im thinking this place has built in vacuum system and the rest are weird plugs with plug covers?

Back