How should I lay this out?

For side walls and ceiling clouds, 2" thick is ok, for corner traps and rear wall and front wall, you want 4" thick

OK. I can do that. I don't fully understand about the corner bass traps. Are you talking about building a 2'x4'x4" panel and putting it at an angle in the corner leaving an air gap behind it, or are you saying I need to cut the OC 703 at a triangle shape and "fill" the entire area floor to ceiling?
I understand about the floor to ceiling of the bass traps and the gobo's need to be 4" thick to be behind the desk and monitors.
I have a question about the monitors also, but I will start a new thread since it is a different subject. I think I'm getting enough information to build on. Thanks to all who have replied.

OK. I can do that. I don't fully understand about the corner bass traps. Are you talking about building a 2'x4'x4" panel and putting it at an angle in the corner leaving an air gap behind it, or are you saying I need to cut the OC 703 at a triangle shape and "fill" the entire area floor to ceiling?
I understand about the floor to ceiling of the bass traps and the gobo's need to be 4" thick to be behind the desk and monitors.
I have a question about the monitors also, but I will start a new thread since it is a different subject. I think I'm getting enough information to build on. Thanks to all who have replied.

A superchunk (cut pieces into trangles and stack) will be better than 4" thick panels (assuming same overall width) but will take a lot more insulation - so do what you can.. You can also pack the space behind a 4" panel with pink fiberglass insulation for additional absorption.

What is the usual mounting position for the ceiling clouds? Directly overhead of the mixing area, slightly in front of or behind the chair? What about distance apart? The clouds will be 2'x4'.
Going to start with two GOBO's behind the speakers 4" thick OC703 and four panels on the walls 2" thick OC703. I have four pieces left and I think I'm going to try for the bass trap in the corner by the closet. I know I still have the other corner where the table is, but I will have to get some more material first. I purchased some loose insulation, the type you blow in a ceiling, to put behind the panel in the corner bass trap. I believe I can pack it in there pretty good and make it fairly dense. I have read where someone said that the pink stuff would work also. The loose insulation should work better, right?

Yes, the loose stuff will work if you can pack it in (the denser the better).
The cloud should be over the listening position, but positioned so that soundwaves from the monitors (and reflections from the desk in front of the monitors that head to the ceiling are hitting the cloud - usually your chair is not more than 4' from the monitors, so the position is obvious, if you've got two could traps, put them side by side.

I have finally completed my studio!! I want to thank mjbphotos and all others who have posted. I tried to take everyone's advice and utilize it for my situation. I am posting some pics of the completed project to show others what can be done with a small space. While it is not perfect and must be shared with someone who sews and embroiders this is what I have and must make the best of it. I ended up with several more dollars invested than I had planned, but we did all of the work ourselves: Painting, build and cover panels, build the desk, changed lighting, etc.. and it feels really good to see, and hear, the difference. The panels really made a huge difference. Thanks again for everyone's help. Completed pics are attached.
Pic 4.JPGPic 6.JPGPic 5.JPGPic 2.JPGPic 1.JPG

What a phenomenal space! Ours is a similar size, but my penchant for collecting vintage keyboards and vinyl makes ours quite a bit more cluttered!

Wishing you much creativity and inspiration.

What V-Drums are those? I just picked up a TD6 on Craigslist. It's great, even for being 10 years old, and I imagine the newer ones are just that much better...

Actually they are an Alesis DM 10 set. I had a 6V set with all mesh heads before I got into the recording side of music, but I sold them :facepalm: I'm an idiot! The Alesis are ok, but nothing like the Roland's I had.

Man, that looks beautiful. I made the same mistake with the purchase of the DM10 set. Good news is, there's a $300 mesh head conversion...maybe for my birthday NEXT year. :)

Actually they are an Alesis DM 10 set. I had a 6V set with all mesh heads before I got into the recording side of music, but I sold them :facepalm: I'm an idiot! The Alesis are ok, but nothing like the Roland's I had.

I don't do enough intricate work with toms to need mesh heads there, but I do wish I had a mesh snare for my first-generation basic TD 6. The sounds are good, and I sure got a deal on it -- a mesh snare would cost more than I spent on the whole thing!

Back