How sensitive are studio monitors?

steffeeH

I'm currently planning to buy a pair of KRK RP8 Rokit G3:
KRK RP8 RoKit G3 - Thomann UK

But one question that I keep thinking of... is how sensitive are studio monitors in this price range volume-wise?
Because even though I mainly buy these for studio usage, I still want to be able to use these in my "spare time" and just listen to music.... sometimes loud (not too often though).

I've done some checking, and the loudest dbSPL level I listen to with my current regular speaker is around 82 dBSPL (rock music or electronic music with not too heavy bass for instance), and around 78 dBSPL for music with heavier bass.
Some may say that it isn't loud, but that's what my current speakers can handle, otherwise they'll distort :)
However, that's only the loudest - I would say that my typical listening level is ranging between 69 dBSPL and 74 dBSPL, sometimes even quieter if I'm focused on something.

And let's say that I own these now, and that I've been using them for a little while on a moderate level to "warm them up", how loud can I go without wearing them out too fast when just listen to some music, and not using them for studio time (then I obviously keep the level nice and quiet)?
I mean let's say I listen to this "loud" level only a few hours a week, and mostly stick to my typical listening level.
I mean I know that studio speakers fatigues over time and show less and less accurate response compared to when they were "fresh" as time goes, and I don't want them to fatigue too fast, I still want to use them for a couple of years...

Any input?

(btw I have a homestudio, not a pro-studio)

Monitors 'wearing out too fast'? Never heard of such a thing.

I think when you say 'sensitivity' you really mean efficiency - how loud can they get (amp to speakers). Will the Rokits be loud enough for your 'non studio' use wihtout cranking them fully? Go listen to a pair somewhere. A lot has to do with the size of your room, of course.

My 8s are plenty loud (they're on the wife's computer in the living room now) to rock out a 15x30x10' living room. No match to the M3-8s, but they're plenty loud.
My 5s were always loud enough for the small room I use as "studio", just didn't have the low end covered. Still work great for second listens though. :)
Also have a Yamaha 5.1 1000W system powering Pioneer speakers in the same living room. Also have a Bose Companion 3 system in the guestroom (grandkids' playroom). All work fine for alternate listens once something is mixed and I'm looking for other environments to listen in.

sensitive- as is susceptible to breakage?
No better of worse than hifi' speakers. And that would be in the traits of the drivers wouldn't it. In some way higher quality monitors were superposed to be more rugged than hifi's.

Your SPL readings are not from 1m, I assume. I was pushing over 110 dBSPL in my room at 1m with the new M3-8s before I got them reeled in.
The numbers you're describing in the 67-80 range are no louder than standing over your disposal. Doesn't seem likely that's all they can produce.

Your SPL readings are not from 1m, I assume. I was pushing over 110 dBSPL in my room at 1m with the new M3-8s before I got them reeled in.
The numbers you're describing in the 67-80 range are no louder than standing over your disposal. Doesn't seem likely that's all they can produce.

It was 1 meter actually ;) I only have a pair of computer speakers with a sub right now, the tone is pretty good on them with some speaker correction (I've even received compliments for the audio quality on them?!), but they can't deliver that much intensity as compared with other speakers.

I dont know what you are really asking.

A)
Is it if the krks will go loud?

Yes, they will crank.

B)
Will they last?

Hmmm. They use cheap components.
I've not heard of too may blowing up the speakers (drivers). But the amps are crap.

I breifly owned a pair of the g2 series.
Amps started having issues.

C)
Are they any good?

No, not for mixing. Very innacurate.

D) How do they do for just listening to music?

Just fine until they break.

Last edited:
I dont know what you are really asking.

A)
Is it if the krks will go loud?

Yes, they will cank.

B)
Will they last?

Hmmm. They use cheap components.
I've not heard of too may blowing up the speakers (drivers). But the amps are crap.

I breifly owned a pair of the g2 series.
Amps started having issues.

C)
Are they any good?

No, not for mixing. Very innacurate.

D) How do they do for just listening to music?

Just fine until they break.

Sounds like you had a bad experience man. That sucks. :(

I have a pair of KRK G2 8's I bought used for almost 4 years now without an issue. They are used pretty much everyday and I am a drummer so... Volume isn't an issue. I use the 1200w PA system in the studio if I want to shake the walls tho.

As far as accuracy, I would agree that they are a bit colored, but nothing so bad one can't learn them well enough to create good mixes. I do also use a sub with them.

Just a different opinion. :)

On another forum someone mentioned a good word if you don't understand what i refer to - durability.

I mean while listening to studio speakers at "studio volume", the speakers should work as they've been constructed for I suppose, and should last as long as it says they will.
But if you crank them up plenty of times a week they are under a lot more pressure than what they were built for - is there any risk that they lose their accuracy as a pair of somewhat "neutral" studio speakers because of this much faster?
Because I've heard a lot of professionals saying that even though a pair of studio speakers last very long, they eventually lose their accuracy sonically speaking and gets more colored over time. Is there a risk that a pair of speakers degrade faster if they are under more pressure, for instance listening to loud music on them from time to time.

In conclusion, can the sonic accuracy durability be affected by loud listening levels?

Also, just to clarify that this has nothing to do with blowing speakers, I bet those speaker cones can handle a lot compared to my previous ones.

Last edited:
Of course speakers get tired. My studio monitors are positively ancient, and they're not as good as when new. The difference is small enough that it doesn't really matter because you get used to it.

Sounds like you had a bad experience man. That sucks. :(

No biggie. :yawn::D
I have a pair of KRK G2 8's I bought used for almost 4 years now without an issue. They are used pretty much everyday and I am a drummer so... Volume isn't an issue. I use the 1200w PA system in the studio if I want to shake the walls tho.

Good for you that they are holding up well.:thumbs up:

As far as accuracy, I would agree that they are a bit colored, but nothing so bad one can't learn them well enough to create good mixes. I do also use a sub with them.

Just a different opinion. :)

Hmm. Don't know why you would need a sub with them. They have plenty of bass. To me, exaggerated bass.
I actually liked them, but couldn't trust them due to the smiley face eq curve.

Mine started making weird noises and humming. The hum was traced down to the inputs When I opened them up and saw the amps, I said Bye bye.

On another forum someone mentioned a good word if you don't understand what i refer to - durability.

I mean while listening to studio speakers at "studio volume", the speakers should work as they've been constructed for I suppose, and should last as long as it says they will.
But if you crank them up plenty of times a week they are under a lot more pressure than what they were built for - is there any risk that they lose their accuracy as a pair of somewhat "neutral" studio speakers because of this much faster?
Because I've heard a lot of professionals saying that even though a pair of studio speakers last very long, they eventually lose their accuracy sonically speaking and gets more colored over time. Is there a risk that a pair of speakers degrade faster if they are under more pressure, for instance listening to loud music on them from time to time.

In conclusion, can the sonic accuracy durability be affected by loud listening levels?

Also, just to clarify that this has nothing to do with blowing speakers, I bet those speaker cones can handle a lot compared to my previous ones.

You can crank the hell out of the KRKs. Maybe that is why people like them. As a listening speaker they are fine. Mixing??? Nope. They are lousy in the mid range.

If the lose their "sound" over time and loud use, it shouldn't be too much of a concern, as it would be better mixing on other speakers at moderate volumes.

No biggie. :yawn::D

Good for you that they are holding up well.:thumbs up:

Hmm. Don't know why you would need a sub with them. They have plenty of bass. To me, exaggerated bass.
I actually liked them, but couldn't trust them due to the smiley face eq curve.

Mine started making weird noises and humming. The hum was traced down to the inputs When I opened them up and saw the amps, I said Bye bye.

I am afraid to look inside! :eek: lol

I noticed the 'smiley face' response much more with the KRK 5's. I was reluctant to purchase the 8's because of this, though I found them for $250 for the pair and pulled the trigger.

They were much better but still noticed the 'curve'. But once I finished my behind monitor floor to wall bass traps, side panels and ceiling clouds, that issue mostly went away.

I do still notice the mid range being a but unclear. My Event TR8's are way better at accuracy in the mid range. I often go back and forth between them.

I use the sub because neither of my monitors realistically showed me anything under 60hz. Before I had the sub, I would hear shit in my car stereo that wasn't apparent in the studio after treatment. Not saying a sub is a great idea for everyone but in my case it is.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing in any way. Only giving another perspective from my personal experience.

I must say to the OP, the room size and whether or not it is acoustically treated will have a dramatic affect on the sound quality of any monitor speaker. Best money I have ever spent hands down was acoustic treatment. And lucky I have a 13x32x8.5' high control room.

I am afraid to look inside! :eek: lol

Yeah don't do it. :D Those nice kevlar yellow cones??? Fake. something is laminated onto a white paper cone for looks. The amps?? yikes.

I noticed the 'smiley face' response much more with the KRK 5's. I was reluctant to purchase the 8's because of this, though I found them for $250 for the pair and pulled the trigger.

Can't beat them for that price.

I do still notice the mid range being a but unclear. My Event TR8's are way better at accuracy in the mid range. I often go back and forth between them.

I use good old fashioned NS10s with a Bryston 3B amp, A set of Equator D5s, and for pumping levels, a set of old Alesis Monitor 2s with a Bryston and a set of Yamaha 344s run with an old 120watt per channel Kenwood amp

So I have my basses covered for mix and feel good speakers.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing in any way. Only giving another perspective from my personal experience.

I know, we're just talking.:D

You gave me second thoughts on getting a pair of Rokits...

But if I were to produce electronic music and want a similar starting-point sonic wise as many other electronic producers (to be more exact it's Minimal House, Deep House, Prog. House, Electro, just to name a few), which studio monitorS should I look into? 8" is a must, as I want to be able to reach deeper down in the frequency spectrum.

By starting point I mean - the reason why I considered getting a pair of Rokits from the start is because a lot of musicians in my genre(s) use Rokits, so I want the same sonic starting point as them speaker-wise. Might get room treatment as time goes, though nothing I can afford right now.

Lots of people like the Rokits, and have done for years. 109dB max is pretty loud for near fields. In the near field, the room is not quite so critical, so I can see why they're popular.

BTW, G2s would be hard to come by. The new G3s corrected a few of the problems (cheap components not among them). The response curve was one of the things I've been told they got right.
My 5s are original issue and they're 10 years old and have never been great speakers, but have also never junked on me. They do thump themselves when you shut them off (which I assume will eventually kill the woofer), but 10 years and still sound strong (if not extremely hyped).
My 8s are also G2 and are only 4 years old. They're used for my wife's computer system for when she decides to play games on it. For the most part they gather dust.

There are several people I know of on this site that use Rokit 8s, and some make some pretty outstanding mixes with them.
Good alternative: JBL LSR308...

Back