How to properly treat a window.

Redtortoise39

I have one window in my home mixing/mastering space. What is my best option for acoustically treating a window in my area? Thanks

Hi! Having the same problem with my studio ,I was advised to look for thermal curtains that said...I did and it appears to have helped somewhat .

They shut down outside noise and keep 99.0% of the UV rays out while keeping climate in .

They are called Thermal Black-out curtains and can be found on e-bay and many other sites . Hope this helped a bit -Steve

That's the simple solution - a lot depends on where the window is in the room - for example, the front wall, that you face when at your mixing desk.
If it is incoming noise, or on a side or back wall, constructing a bass trap to fit over the window, or within it's frame might be the answer.

If the window is a point of first reflection can your set up be moved so that it isn't?

If it isn't a point of first reflection - a curtain (as described above) should be enough.

If it is a point of fr - and you can't move your rig... Maybe a rockwool gobo (timber frame) mounted on runners that slides across the window?

Thermal blackout curtains are a great option if you are facing the window. I got mine from Amazon and it's wonderful. If it's not directly in front of you it would be helpful, to answer the question correctly, if we knew where it is (simple room diagram).

Actually, I was about to join this forum before some weeks to ask the same doubt. I'm going to start a recording studio in my home. So,I have renovated a bed room on the first floor and bought the required equpments. But the problem is, there is a window in the room and removing is too risky. But as our's is an urban area, the sound of traffic could be really annoying and terrible for a recording studio even though i'm not composing for films or advertisements. Finally,got a solution with the help of my friend. I just replaced the old windows with sound proof vinyl windows with the help of Clera,(window supplier in Canada) and it worked well. If you need to sound proof a room ,vinyl windows would be a good choice.

I recently put some bass traps in front of my window, all I can say is wow what a difference, I don't need the light anyway, sound is more important.

I had on my to-do list to replace a curtain on a window that is maybe 5 feet behind and left of my mixing position with something that would be at least a little more absorbent. I took room response measurements with the existing curtain open, closed, the blinds open and closed, and with a bass trap stuck in front of it. Absolutely no difference. So I'm saving some money and letting light into my studio.

Also, the above mentioned bass trap was in a corner that was problematic in terms of keeping the room functional for anything other than a studio, e.g. storing crap, and removing it from that corner made no difference in measured response. It is now unemployed and living in my garage.

Back