How much will it cost to build a home studio like this ...

seancfc

Hey everyone :) I want to start building a Home studio like this one. I really like the way its set out and its something that would be perfect for my room. I have a mic and pop screen.

I need to know how much it will cost to have a studio set up similar to this.

EDIT : I would be looking to get the Speakers, Desks, Foam, All the Mixers and I don't even know what else he has on that second desk. Is it mixers? lol.. daamn. That setup is so rich. EVEN THE CHAIR :O

Attachments

• ed-victor-home-recording-studio.jpg
    ed-victor-home-recording-studio.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
Hey everyone :) I want to start building a Home studio like this one. I really like the way its set out and its something that would be perfect for my room. I have a mic and pop screen.

I need to know how much it will cost to have a studio set up similar to this.

Just a space or the equipment collection?

With all that gear included? :p thousands
With just the racks and foam and desk and stuff? hundreds

You'd probably need a better idea of exactly what you want, if possible.
New or used?

A used digi 002 like that will probably cost you a few hundred quid now, cos it's getting old. If avid even support it anymore, it wont be long till they don't.
The more recent digi 003 will sting you closer to a grand, or more if you buy new.

Do you want an imac? They start at a grand too. A mac mini and a screen might be adequate through for closer to £550.
A pc could be even cheaper than that.

So even on two items you could be looking at <£800 or >£2000 depending what you want.

Hd280 headphones are about £90 new. Just thought I'd throw that in since I recognised them. :P

You'd probably need a better idea of exactly what you want, if possible.
New or used?

A used digi 002 like that will probably cost you a few hundred quid now, cos it's getting old. If avid even support it anymore, it wont be long till they don't.
The more recent digi 003 will sting you closer to a grand, or more if you buy new.

Do you want an imac? They start at a grand too. A mac mini and a screen might be adequate through for closer to £550.
A pc could be even cheaper than that.

So even on two items you could be looking at <£800 or >£2000 depending what you want.

Hd280 headphones are about £90 new. Just thought I'd throw that in since I recognised them. :P

Some of the Equipment would be used. Especially the Speakers.

I don't need a computer. I already have a 4GB brand new Laptop. I would get the headphones and the speakers and probably a chair like that :p lol

Probably the speakers, Mixers would be bought used and the headphones, desks and chair would be bought new.

Not liking the "In the Corner" Set-Up but it looks really nice. :)

Here is photo of mine:
Built the desk for $50.
Built the rack for almost nothing as the wood was left over from another project. The Rack Rail cost about $40.
Covered and mounted the black Owens Corning 703 Compressed Fiberglass Panels behind the Rack myself using a mounting system I designed and built.
Built the Acoustic Panels on the wall behind the desk too!
Yada Yada Yada :yawn: ;)

OldMan2A.jpg

Some of the Equipment would be used. Especially the Speakers.
I don't need a computer. I already have a 4GB brand new Laptop. I would get the headphones and the speakers and probably a chair like that :p lol
Probably the speakers, Mixers would be bought used and the headphones, desks and chair would be bought new.

Don't forget, you'll need to buy microphones and cables and microphone stands.

There are some nice low-cost USB interfaces and mixers these days.....
The PreSonus 16.0.2 FIREWIRE mixer got a real nice review in the UK based Sound On Sound Magazine.

Wish it was a higher res photo, but I see what I think is a 737 and that alone is over $2k USD.

Plus there is all the unknown like plugins, mics, cable etc...

If I had to round house guess this guy has well over $10k in gear alone.

Not liking the "In the Corner" Set-Up but it looks really nice. :)

Here is photo of mine:
Built the desk for $50.
Built the rack for almost nothing as the wood was left over from another project. The Rack Rail cost about $40.
Covered and mounted the black Owens Corning 703 Compressed Fiberglass Panels behind the Rack myself using a mounting system I designed and built.
Built the Acoustic Panels on the wall behind the desk too!
Yada Yada Yada :yawn: ;)

View attachment 70010

Wow.. I think Im gonna build my own desk.. But how can I make it as strong and nice looking as the $200 desks ?

Thanks for everyones replies. I see that this is all going to cost a lot of money. But I ain't gonna need all the mixers. I have thought about it and I'm thinking .. will I need all those mixers ? I only record vocals and sometimes a guitar. Surely.. I don't need all that for vocals? lol.

I got by with a $30 6ft ABS plastic table for a year. I also used my laptop and Cubase 4LE to get started (interface and program cost about $250). Also in the beginning I used a simple pair of headphones (and I quickly learned that I couldn't get an accurate mix). Add in microphones, cables, etc and you have spent less than $500 for a very mild startup.

As time has moved on I have a collection of mics, a beautiful desk, ProTools as well as Cubase (I gave Cubase another chance, but I still don't like it that much). My toy of choice if I am working alone is normally my Tascam 2488NEO. I generally use a pair of KRK Rokit 5 monitors to mix with because I know and understand them. Then add in acoustic treatment, cables, stands, DIs, accessories (pop filters, shock mounts, etc) and you find that you have a great deal of money tied up. To continue adding; effects processors, plug ins.............This list can go on for days.

Would you like to talk about the guitars, amps, basses, more amplification, pedalboards, and drums.

Great, now I am looking around the room adding up the money I have spent over the years. That is almost depressing. I will just say that I have more money tied up in stuff than I probably should have. I was doing very simple recordings with just a few hundred dollars that sounded OK. I can now say I have thousands tied up (I hopefully do better than just OK).

Thanks for everyones replies. I see that this is all going to cost a lot of money. But I ain't gonna need all the mixers. I have thought about it and I'm thinking .. will I need all those mixers ? I only record vocals and sometimes a guitar. Surely.. I don't need all that for vocals? lol.

You won't need all those mixers.
I showed you 2 mixers that are relatively lower priced just so you can see what some lower priced options are.

Looking at a real low-priced way to start AND if you have a computer and recording software,
You could buy this interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
These monitors:KRK RP5 RoKit G2 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
These headphones: Superlux HD-662 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
And be on your way. :listeningmusic:

You won't need all those mixers.
I showed you 2 mixers that are relatively lower priced just so you can see what some lower priced options are.

Looking at a real low-priced way to start AND if you have a computer and recording software,
You could buy this interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
These monitors:KRK RP5 RoKit G2 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
These headphones: Superlux HD-662 - Thomann UK Cyberstore
And be on your way. :listeningmusic:

Thanks dude! :) I really appreciate your help.

I have headphones. I got the ATH M40's. They are brilliant! I love them. I still need monitors and maybe mixers.. Are they a "must" ?

Thanks dude! :) I really appreciate your help. I have headphones. I got the ATH M40's. They are brilliant! I love them. I still need monitors and maybe mixers.. Are they a "must" ?

If you go back to the photo of the studio you want to build, you will see that he/she has 4 pairs of monitors!
So, Yes! :)
You stated earlier that you wanted a mixer :confused:
At minimum, you have to have a device to get your sound into your computer like the Focusrite 2i2 above.
Most likely, your recording software will have a mixer built in.
Take care and good luck!:laughings:

If you go back to the photo of the studio you want to build, you will see that he/she has 4 pairs of monitors!
So, Yes! :)
You stated earlier that you wanted a mixer :confused:
At minimum, you have to have a device to get your sound into your computer like the Focusrite 2i2 above.
Most likely, your recording software will have a mixer built in.
Take care and good luck!:laughings:

I have an M-Audio Interface .

Back