How to make a (decently) isolated drum riser?

agentpenguin185

Hey guys,

Would you happen to know of any links on plans to build drum risers? If you do I would greatly appreciate you posting them. Thanks a lot. Seeya.

You called anybody?

Hello agentpenguin185, well actually yes. But first I have to know what type of drum riser you are looking for.
Permenant? Portable? You say isolated? Isolated from what? How big is the drum set. I've seen all sizes. Or is this a one size fits all for clients. Or yours? If portable, how portable? Fold up and put in a car? Or up against the wall? If permenant, how perrmenant? Concrete can be isolated. Sand filled wood diaphramatic units can be built. Hollow enclosures with insulation can be built. Aluminum welded frames and panels can be built. What is the floor its will be resting on built of? Is it on the second floor of a building? Is it in a isolation booth or room? How high is the ceiling? Whats the maximum size? Weight? Height? Steps? Rails? Isolation screen too? Carpeted? Tiled?

Anything can be built. The trick is building what will meet your needs, and then actually work. If you are looking to reduce direct structural transmittal of impact sound, then resiliantly floated mass is the best solution. Anything less is a compromise. However, an isolated drum platform is only one link in a chain of elements that must be addressed to fully isolate drums from stuctural transmittal of sound waves through a building. If your idea, is to isolate drums from any other adjacent room via the platform only, in my opinion, it will not do the job, as soundproofing is only as good as the weakest link. Therefore, if every element of the room in which the platform resides is not treated equally to achieve a given STC target, then an isolated platform cannot achieve its full potential.

If the idea is just to raise the drums and thats it, thats another animal altogeather.

These types of things must be considered and answered. Then I can direct you to an appropriate set of plans.
fitz

Back