How high?

Essentially the LH unit (and port*) should NOT be an exact divisor of the distance, i.e. if a 10ft ceiling don't have them at 5feet.

*Port is unlikely to be in the same plane as the woofer centre but a few inches should not matter.

Dave.

Duh.....I mean as far as minimizing reflections from floor and ceiling.

Sorry...I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I just meant it's the most important thing.
For most of us I'd imagine treatment would be more important than distance, height wise, since we're working in very limited spaces and there's only so much we can do but, thinking about it, that might not be the case.
Hope you get some useful answers! :)

Sorry...I didn't mean to sound sarcastic. I just meant it's the most important thing.
For most of us I'd imagine treatment would be more important than distance, height wise, since we're working in very limited spaces and there's only so much we can do but, thinking about it, that might not be the case.
Hope you get some useful answers! :)

But I love sarcasm:)

Yep, ear height. Like others said, 90% of us are stuck in rooms with 8' ceilings which is exactly wrong for a perfect studio. That said, treating the room as best you can will work fine for most. I have an exactly wrong room that is 12x12x8' tall. I put a 4x4 roxul cloud overhead which helps I think (no expert).

Maybe the question should be:

"How high should my ears be off the floor?"

I would not worry much about it. We did not evolve to discriminate much in the vertical plane* (predators know this and attack from trees!) . Then almost all loudspeakers radiate mostly in the horizontal plane for those frequencies that give us directional clues.

*Same goes for depth perception. Monitor reviewers bang on about good or bad "depth resolution" but there is no physical mechanism AFAIK that would allow us to hear that! After all, look how easily we are fooled by perspective and cannot tell the size/distance of things without a frame of reference.

Dave.

Back