How do you manage all the cords??

peritus

The not fountain head
Just looking for a cheap and effective way of haning all these cords (mic, instrument, etc.) on the wall or something.... How do you do it in your studio? I thought about pegboard...but I'm not sure how it would effect my acoustics.. Thoughts?

Exactly the kinda thing I was looking for... Thanks... Wish I could make out some more detail from the pix... But hey.. can't have everything at that price... :)

I use shoeboxes, so I can put them into the crawl space. Since my wife seems to have a shoe fetish, this works for both of us.

Good one too... More than one cord per box, right? :p

I wonder how touring crews transport their cords.... Must be somthing like a hose reel...

I use a couple of cable claws like above for my patchbay cables. I also have a pegboard on the wall in the hall outside the control room for hanging mic, line and other cables.

peritus said:
Good one too... More than one cord per box, right? :p

Oh yeah. Most of the cords in boxes aren't used often, just for oddball patching requirements or for one-off special needs (customer brings a synth or two for example). Most everything else is permanently wired, and the patch cords I've started making will be stored in a box I'm making into the furniture behind the rack gear on the one side.

I mounted an old tie rack to the wall and ripped off half of the pegs. holds like 40 cables or something. More than I need right now.

Ben

I had a section of wall covered with coat hooks spaced about 6 inches apart which worked fairly well, 2 cables per hook. Then I discovered something better, plant hangers. The kind designed for hanging potted plants, they hold 8 cables each (looped loosely then secured with velcro strips) and fold flat against the wall when not in use. I put these up high enough so I don't worry about running into one of them. All the left over coat hooks are now where I hang headphones.

Go to the home store; Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... and pick up some peg board and some pegs. They usually come in 4 X 8 sheets and they're real easy to cut up. Pick up a few 2 X 2's (8 feet long) and some screws. Cut the peg board to the size of your liking and around the perimeter of it screw the 2 X 2's. Then find a place on one of your walls to secure it up in place, and there ya go, you've got a whole plethora of possibilities for organzing cords. I'm planning on doing this in the small room between my live room and the control room. I've got some drywall attached directly to OSB, so that'll work great for attaching the peg board.

I like this idea because you're not limited to anything some manufacturer made. You can put the pegs on there however you'd like to accomodate your exact needs. You can even paint the peg board any color you want... like the color of your walls, and it'll look great.

SonicClang said:
You can even paint the peg board any color you want... like the color of your walls, and it'll look great.

Bet you'd need some primer for that one...

Thanks for all the ideas people....now I just gotta pick one..lol

Well yeah, primer would probably help. :) that peg board is pretty porous. Unless you want to put 5 coats of paint on. haha.

I like velcro...and sometimes I like to use it to secure my cables into nify coiled bundles...other times...I just like velcro :o

I have about sixty or so XLR cables that I use for live sound and have found that coiling them into roadie coils and laying them inside a large plastic toolbox works best ror me. If you get toolboxes at the same place, you can look for something that stacks and get three or four of them. The weight is not too much and they stay clean. I also use one for TRS cables and a separate one for TS stuff; all the guitar cables and patch cables are together. It's good to have this stuff separated by cable type so when something is needed in a live production there's no scrambling. Makes packing up and trucking easier as well.

$8.00 @ thrift store..

:D

cordtree1small4px.jpg

cordtree2small0eh.jpg

Just in case you hate my ghetto photography, here's a similar numba (only mine has cool steel wheels):

square_upright_4waterfall_flag_arms.jpg

Treeline said:
I have about sixty or so XLR cables that I use for live sound and have found that coiling them into roadie coils and laying them inside a large plastic toolbox works best ror me. If you get toolboxes at the same place, you can look for something that stacks and get three or four of them. The weight is not too much and they stay clean. I also use one for TRS cables and a separate one for TS stuff; all the guitar cables and patch cables are together. It's good to have this stuff separated by cable type so when something is needed in a live production there's no scrambling. Makes packing up and trucking easier as well.

By the way.. How do I "roadie coil" the cables???? That sounds like a cool thing to learn..

Back