How do I treat this room?

paw1

I have recently gotten more serious about home recording and more concerned about how the room affects recording and mixing. As it stands now, my room is totally untreated, although pretty cluttered with furniture and other things. When I compare speakers to a studio headset, it's pretty apparent that the room is bass-heavy. Hard clapping causes subtle flutter-echoing.

Because of the design of my desk, I'm placed in a corner in the room. I plan to put a bass trap in this corner (as well as the other corners). The room is pretty occupied with furniture and other things because it's a hang out place as well as a studio. Hopefully I will get myself a rectangular desk in the future, and place it with an equal distance to the side walls, instead of staying in a corner.

One problem with the current set up is having a large "listening triangle", caused by dual 24" monitors between the speakers. In order to get a proper stereo image I have to move back from the desk.

The room is 4,75 x 4,25 x 2,05 meters. The floor is covered by a woolen carpet, the walls are bare wood panels, while the ceiling most probably is wood, covered in what looks like plastering material. I have attached a scale-correct plan of the room. The numbers on the furniture tell you how tall they are.

Studio.png

What are obvious problems in the room? How would you go about to get them fixed?

Any help appreciated.

-paw1

First off, get your monitors out of the corner. Trust me, nothing good comes from that position. Absolutely the worst place to do anything in a small square room. Center your listening position along the wall on the left side of your diagram.

Wish I could help, but I probably know less about this subject than you.

I would, however, like to know what program you used to do the drawing.

First off, get your monitors out of the corner. Trust me, nothing good comes from that position. Absolutely the worst place to do anything in a small square room. Center your listening position along the wall on the left side of your diagram.

I better get my ass out of that corner then:) I have plans to get myself a rectangular table that I can place with equal length to both side walls. Until then, maybe it's just better to use the headset for mixing.

Wish I could help, but I probably know less about this subject than you.

I would, however, like to know what program you used to do the drawing.

I used a very fancy program called...

*drumroll*

...PAINT!:D

Each pixel represents one centimeter, and I simply drew it up. When it came to making lines that were not parallel with the (room) frame, I used Pythagoras triangle to get the lengths right. Yes, I'm a nerd:thumbs up:

...and sorry for the disappointing answer

Last edited:
Any opinions on room materials? I'm quite curious about what wood panels and a woolen carpet will do to the room sound:)

Wood is typically a better option for floors. It will have a more lively sound. Carpet, like foam, only adsorbs high frequencies, and therefore adds to making a room dead, but will do nothing with the bigger issues of low end build up. Roxul 80 or OC703 are the common materials for building corner traps. First thing you want is to trap the 4 vertical corners, and place panels at first reflection points (left and right of monitors as well as ceiling). That will give you a basic starting point. From there, you will want to download REW and test the room to see what it needs, if you want better accuracy. Most just seem leave it at corners and first reflections, as this helps extremely as is.

Back