How to check room acoustics???

mud

Ok i wasn't too sure on how to word this via the search so i made a new topic...sorry in advance to all those fed up of this question as im guessin it's probably a common one.

Basically im in the middle of setting up my room in which i will be doing most of my recording via my allen n heath GL2 into my pc. I was wondering how best to check the acoustics of this room so that i can get it as flat as possible? I do currently have a behringer ultracurve pro, would this help?

If anyone could point me to an application or other device or way to check the room then please let me know.

My room at current feels like it could be a little boomy, especially with the wooden floors n such so im guessin i'll be needing some basstraps to solve this...but in saying that it could just be the space under my desk which is acting as a bit of a bass box itself.

Anyhows, any info is appreciated.

Checked those links, seems i will have to pay out a good bit to get what im looking for in this room.

Out of curiosity, if i was to use the ultracurves test tones and let it give me an eq reading....would i then be able to say, for example, if the room is showing as high on the low end, add traps? or high on the top end, add tiles?

Im not 100% sure on how the readouts show cos i aint used it in 3yrs lol, but if it was showing it's eq meter and this is post eq and is showing a boostin in the low frequencies would i be right in thinkin that i need to some how increase the bottom end in the room either by removing said traps or adding a sub to my setup?

I read somewhere that the tannoy reveals are a bit weaker in the bottom end but it does seem like it's a got a good bit of it in here? so im not really sure now lol...could it be the wooden floor thats having this effect and should i be purchasing a sub to cancel out the unnatural bass response?

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
This is a good start. Understanding what it tells you and what to do about it is the hard part :)

I have read that and I agree. The hard part is deciphering what's on the page. Measuring a room's acoustic characteristics can't be that complicated. It seem's that the explanations on this subject are usely overly windy. As far as I can tell, all you really need is some test tones, a mic, monitors, a room, and the absorbers/diffusors that you're trying to place. The hard part seems to be figuring out what points to measure from, other than the mixing position, and how to strategically place the absorbers/diffusors for optimum performance.

It seems kind of silly that there is all this talk around here about absorption/diffusion and no one seems to know how to measure a room's acoustic characteristics in the first place. :confused:

mud said:
Ok i wasn't too sure on how to word this via the search so i made a new topic...sorry in advance to all those fed up of this question as im guessin it's probably a common one.

Actually, it does'nt seem like a common question that's asked around here. It seems like it should be though.

Ethan Winer provides a set of low frequency test tones on his real traps site:

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Last edited:
Ok thats a quick layout of my room with measurements in inches. The desk i have is custom built and as such wont go anywhere else in room without causing obstruction. If anyone can fill me it on what i should be lookin at here then please do.
The floor is wood, and as stated 90" from floor to ceiling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• roomsize.jpg
    roomsize.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 863
Unfortunately i cant as it has a doorway next to it in which i will be placing 2 solid pine doors to help with a little sound leakage reduction into my living room lol....also to help block out the sounds of my daughter laughing and calling shrek all the time hehe.

Initially i was just gonna cover that with a partition but it aint gonna be able to happen now.

The desk/computer unit is self build in 3/4 cabinet grade ply and is 8ft long and 2ft deep. And to add to that, it's fookin uberheavy lol.

But anythin you could offer up may be a great help.

Back