How to build wood studio monitor stands?

elove

Have any of you built your own monitor stands? I have been pricing monitor stands and finding out that they can be quite expensive. I was thinking of going to Home Depot getting wood and building my own. What type of wood did you use in building yours and can you post the pictures and the specs? I have never built anything b4, but how hard can two stands be:) I was thinking that I would just need to buy two post, have them cut about 36" and put a 12" top and base on both. Then place some rubber mats on top of the top squares. Maybe add some metal spikes in the bottom base so that it will grab the carpet. Here is a picture of the construction I was thinking of going with - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ERSS36/ Any help would be appreciated. I just got my monitors so I am ready to get started. Thanks all..

wood will work, but if you really want to get everything out of your monitors, it needs to be something solid
a popular method of building stands is simple pvc pipe, fairly thick, filled with sand. This gives the stand some mass, so sound can not resonate wihin your tubes. They actually look quite nice if you cover them wtih carpet. The bases will be the same, basically just plywood squares, but make sure they are sealed around the edges of the pipe.

I built some stands out of oak from Home Depot (so I could finish them to match my desk) that are very simple and yet elegent....did I say elegant?....sorry. :D All I did to help isolate sound was buy some Auralex MoPads...which I agree with some people may just be frivolous money spending but hey, In my brain they are working terrifically! I would post pictures but I'm at work. Good Luck!

Here are my DIY stands - simple white MDF and drywall screws. they have chair pads on the bottom to keep from scratching the floor. predrill/countersink the holes in the MDF.

DAN

BTW, I've added some gear to the place since this photo ;-)

Attachments

• speakersonly (2).jpg
    speakersonly (2).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 483
Back