Home Studio Project

ollie2670

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to this site and to the whole setting up your own studio experience in general, but after reading some threads I feel that this is the place to get good answers, and I would like to ask for some advice from people with experience in this area because the only way you can learn is if you ask, even if they're completely noob questions. :guitar:

I'm studying music technology in college, so I thought it was only natural progression to move onto some home projects in recording. I am building an extension onto a 2 story shed which is going to be a new room, the roof of the new room will be the height of the 2 story's in the existing shed. The plan is that the new room with the high ceiling would be the live room, while the upstairs room in the existing shed would be the control room.

The new live room will be a basic square room with the stairs to the control room running along one wall on the inside of the live room. I attached a quick diagram of what the live room would look like, just to give an idea of sizes and where the door and stairs are.

The dimensions of the live room will roughly be 11 feet by 12 feet and then 12 feet in height, with a slight slope of about 5 inches from one wall to another.

Right, to my questions. First of all, I'm very new to the area of acoustic treatment and such, so what kind of recommendations could you give me about how the room should be set up, is it even a good shaped room for recording? I've heard a higher ceiling can be better but I'm guessing thats only if I have all the right treatment to go along with it.

Basically I need help with a run through plan of how to kit out my live room from top to bottom so that it will sound fairly decent. I would be greatly appreciative if anybody could give me their ideas and suggestions about my project, and bear in mind the room actually hasn't been constructed yet so if it's really badly shaped for a live room now then it can be open to some change if people think it'd make the overall room sound better!

Thanks very much for reading this and I can't wait to hear any good advice that you could throw my way :)

There it is, very basic but just wanted to give an idea of what we were going for :P

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 43
Back