Home Studio Newbie Seeks Advice

metal_cd

If someone could please help by posting their setup if they feel they have what I may be looking for or just give advice as to what may be good.
Looking to setup a recording 'studio' (dont know if it can be called studio, just a small setup) for use with guitar and keyboard.
Looking to mainly reproduce 80's melodic metal but would like to be a little diverse and do other things as well, maybe some soft rock, techno and hip-hop. Dont think I want to sing, unless I could magically transform my suckiness into something better.

What I have already to be used for this is my guitar which is a late 80's Charvel with emgs and a newer pc computer which I may dedicate for this (Gateway 808gm). Also have a Mackie micro 1202, dont know if I would need it for this type of setup though. Also have a couple of pa amps, again dont know if that would be usefull.

I believe I have settled on a Pod XT Live or XT Pro for giving me the tone I would like (mostly looking to reproduce the 80's hair band metal tones but to be diverse as well) Yes, I know an actual mic'd amp may be better but I felt if I was mainly farting around at home and wanted to do recordings this would be the way to go.
I would like to get a halfway decent keyboard to produce a decent variety of syth tones, pianos, ect.
Oh, and a drum track machine(know nothing about drums so should be easy to use).
The recording quality should be high, don't want to end with something that makes me feel like I just produced something that sounds second rate.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Please let me know what you have or what you feel I would need to do the above. What is everybody using with good success?
Thanks much

you can set up the forum display to show you more than just the last day's postings.

Spend about a week or two looking around here (try the studio pics threads...) then learn how to use the search function and only *then* are you really ready to start asking questions, if you want most of us grumpy folks really answering them.

Learn a lot of information first, and then ask informed questions so we can help you sort it all out!

Enjoy :D

Obi-Wan zenabI said:
you can set up the forum display to show you more than just the last day's postings.

Spend about a week or two looking around here (try the studio pics threads...) then learn how to use the search function and only *then* are you really ready to start asking questions, if you want most of us grumpy folks really answering them.

Learn a lot of information first, and then ask informed questions so we can help you sort it all out!

Enjoy :D

+1. I am too grumpy right now.

I am sorry the two of you are grumpy. It was not my intent to cause any type of grumpyness with this posting.
I was just looking for advice as to the best way to go about creating a small studio with some specific needs that I had described.
Yes, before I had registered I had spent some time looking at the pictures of some other studio setups. I had gotten some general ideas, but it is very hard to tell just from looking if it would fulfill my needs nicely. I have also been to many equipment sales sites as well as some other forums. It becomes quite confusing when there are so many different choices and types. A person does need to ask questions to see if it will meet ones needs. A salesperson will often times tell you what you want to hear and possibly sell me what I am actually not looking for or more than I actually need. This is why I was hoping for some unbiased suggestions and help from highly experienced people such as yourselves. This is what I thought wonderful forums such as this were meant for.

If you need some specific questions I have a bunch but they would sound as if I do not know what I am talking about because I don't (that is why I am here) and I'd imagine that would cause more grumpy replies. Was just hoping for some ideas to achieve what I described and get some good equipment/software recommendations based on your past experiences.

Heya metal, I guess a lot of it depends on your budget. Korg makes some good keyboards, so you might check them out. You might be able to get away with using the keyboard synth/sampler for your percussion, too, if you're sequencing and recording onto the computer. I like Cakewalk for sequencing and recording. (err.... I mean Sonar -- been a user for nearly 20 years)

I think a lot of the quality comes from how you use what you've got. I've heard some beautiful recordings some on some pretty simple equipment by someone who knows what he's doing. And I've heard some pretty terrible stuff mixed with fancy stuff.

If I were you i'd buy some drum track software that works with a midi controller to make some beats, not an external machine. Pod route is cool if you like what you hear. make sure you use quality cables if you want quality sound. I'll add more later.

Thanks for the replies.
Alexfranke, my budget would be about a few thousand, ok lets say 5 thousand. If I would have to go over I guess that would be ok but would like not to. For recording software you have Sonar? I had read about many different ones and I think some of the names were N-track, Cubase, Pro Tracks. All very confusing without being able to try any of them out. Would you recommend the Sonar or any other for me? For keyboard, you say Korg is good. I was at a music shop recently and played briefly with a Korg, Roland, and a Nord. They seemed similar yet different. I think I confused myself. It didn't help that the salesman would always walk up and say 'so have you decided yet?' The Korg seemed very high tech, think it was called oasis. It would be one that would probably do more than I need and I would need to spend a good deal of time learning. The Nord, 76 I believe, was a little more straight forward and I got some good sounds out of it. What I liked about it was that it seemed I could change the sound in so many different ways. This may be useful as I think I would find myself wanting to try and duplicate sounds I hear, lets say an exact old 80's synth tone I find cool. Any opinions on the above or others you may think would work. Just looking for something a semi-good player could take and make some really good sounding music.

Shout It Out, your recommendation for drum software I think is a very good one. I think it will make it easier for me(non-drummer) to make some good sounding tracks. I would want it to sound as professional as a synthetic drum could and by looking around it would seem people may be getting good results with programs such as Fruity Loops or a Steinberg's Groove Agent. Have any opinions either way on these or others? Do these work with midi? Yes, my midi knowledge is zero.
Yes, I liked the POD sound, had heard many clips of it and decided it was good enough(actually pretty darn good), at least for now. Would save some hassles/money of getting a decent amp and micing it and even then would probably not get the variety I can out of the POD. With cables had read somewhere Core X2's are good. What do you think for cables?

Also, couple more questions; for decent bass tracks could that be done with the keyboard or would a software product do it better? And with getting this all into the computer I think I have seen interfaces using usb and firewire. Either one better? Have seen some I think with mixers as well, are these good? Any opinions or good brand names for these would be apreciated.

Thanks again :)

Tell the saleman, "no I haven't decided, but if I'm going to spend a grand or more here, I want to have the time to make the right decision!" :mad: .. or maybe more PC: "I'm serious about buying. I need time to try these out. I'll be sure you get the commission."

Your first impressions of the keyboard interfaces and sounds are important, so give that some weight. They all do basically the same things. What's right for some isn't for others, so don't base your desicion on any specific product recommendations unless the person recommending it really knows you.

I use Sonar (before that Cakewalk all the way back to the DOS version) and I like it. But again, you need to try them out and see what you think. Most will offer trial versions. I've even called to have trials extended for some software products.

Nothing beats a real drummer, but using sequencing software and the percussion sounds built into the keyboard (sound module, computer samples, etc) means you can tweak the tracks a bit to make it sound more human. Same thing for bass.

If you're new to all of this, maybe the best thing to do would be to cut your budget in half or more and get yourself a starter kit to learn on. After you ramp up on everything you'll have a better idea of what you need to get the sound you want.

metal_cd said:
Thanks for the replies.
Alexfranke, my budget would be about a few thousand, ok lets say 5 thousand. If I would have to go over I guess that would be ok but would like not to. For recording software you have Sonar? I had read about many different ones and I think some of the names were N-track, Cubase, Pro Tracks. All very confusing without being able to try any of them out. Would you recommend the Sonar or any other for me? For keyboard, you say Korg is good. I was at a music shop recently and played briefly with a Korg, Roland, and a Nord. They seemed similar yet different. I think I confused myself. It didn't help that the salesman would always walk up and say 'so have you decided yet?' The Korg seemed very high tech, think it was called oasis. It would be one that would probably do more than I need and I would need to spend a good deal of time learning. The Nord, 76 I believe, was a little more straight forward and I got some good sounds out of it. What I liked about it was that it seemed I could change the sound in so many different ways. This may be useful as I think I would find myself wanting to try and duplicate sounds I hear, lets say an exact old 80's synth tone I find cool. Any opinions on the above or others you may think would work. Just looking for something a semi-good player could take and make some really good sounding music.

Shout It Out, your recommendation for drum software I think is a very good one. I think it will make it easier for me(non-drummer) to make some good sounding tracks. I would want it to sound as professional as a synthetic drum could and by looking around it would seem people may be getting good results with programs such as Fruity Loops or a Steinberg's Groove Agent. Have any opinions either way on these or others? Do these work with midi? Yes, my midi knowledge is zero.
Yes, I liked the POD sound, had heard many clips of it and decided it was good enough(actually pretty darn good), at least for now. Would save some hassles/money of getting a decent amp and micing it and even then would probably not get the variety I can out of the POD. With cables had read somewhere Core X2's are good. What do you think for cables?

Also, couple more questions; for decent bass tracks could that be done with the keyboard or would a software product do it better? And with getting this all into the computer I think I have seen interfaces using usb and firewire. Either one better? Have seen some I think with mixers as well, are these good? Any opinions or good brand names for these would be apreciated.

Thanks again :)

For cables i would use some high quality stuff, check out www.lavacable.com they have amazing products, my pedalboard is wired with lava.

I am almsot positive fruity loops works with midi. I currently am transitioning to Fruity loops myself, learning more about it. I like what I hear so far.

As for bass tracks, I've always done my own bass lines to songs.

I would start by choosing a good sound card #1. If your budget is $300 there are so many options out there. What is your budget for all this?

I can recommend based on budget.

He gave a budget Alex.
Metal, you have the computer already. At this stage of the game I think you're best off getting yourself a decent interface, a mic, your Pod (if you like it) and make sure your interface is bundled with some decent software (most do). This will not cost you much. Throw in some quality cables and some monitors and you're off. Since this is new to you I wouldn't blow too much cash on hardware. Start off small. Throw the rest of your budget in the bank for now. If you get into this, you'll be glad you did. $750 will get you a Mbox2mini, a cheaper Rode mic, a midi controller, a pair of AT headphones, and ProTools LE. There's lots of packages in that price range as well.

Thanks, again, for the advice on this.
I have a POD XT Pro on the way. I was looking at keyboards and thought I may have settled on a Korg X50. It seems to do a lot and doesn't have too many extra features that I probably wouldn't use. Are you thinking a midi keyboard to control midi software would be good? Would it be a good idea to get a firewire interface and also make sure it has a midi input which I currently do not have. I was looking at some packages, I think they inlcuded things like an AKG mic, Sennheiser headphone, MAudio interface, MAudio monitors(are these good?), ect.
You suggested a Rode mic, in looking it seems a NT1A is the standard? It looks pretty good and is relatively affordable.
As far as a soundcard, is the factory one going to be fine? If I have the interface doesn't that act as a soundcard or am I not seeing that correctly?
Thanks again!

Hey Metal, It sounds like what I like to do when I record. These guys are give you some great advice. The POD XT Pro is a great tool for recording guitar. It is very versitle. I would suggest putting and EQ between your guitar and the POD. Roll of the low end for your hi gain sounds. It will tighten up your tone. For bass tones buy a bass guitar and run it through your POD. Try the blackface setting with a 4x10 cab. You will be surprised how good it will sound. You play guitar so playing bass is not going to be hard. For drums I used Fruity Loops for a long time but you need really good samples. Their is a learning curve though. I have recently been trying EZ Drummer. The same people that make DFH (Drumkit from Hell). It is great because it comes with 1000's of loops that you can set any tempo to and it sounds like a real drummer. Each drum has 10 different samples and plays them ramdomly in the loop. If you don't want to waste time programming beats then this is a cool program. As for software I use Sonar. It is easy to use and even has software synths. Meaning you just get yourself a USB controller and you have a keyboard for your studio. Some controllers even have mic ins and line ins so it is a sound card too. Also get yourself a good set of monitors. I wouldn't go blowing alot of money when you can get your feet wet for cheap and still get great results. ;)

Thanks Hoops,
I was actually just looking at the EZ Drummer as well! It looks really cool (and easy to get some great sounding results!) I was almost immediately sold once I looked at their tutorial located on youtube;
EZdrummer Tutorial - Part1
EZdrummer Tutorial - Part2
Yes, I think it had like 8000 built in loops or something like that. Should be able to find something I like in those or even if I don't... should be able to get me started quicker in the right direction. I really like the 'humanization' part of it. Is it really as easy as it looks? You said you are trying it, do you have a demo? I thought I only saw a way to purchase and not to demo it.
Might take your advice on the bass guitar. Maybe find a cheap one on ebay. I can run it through the same Pod no problem? I guess I ask this because I saw they have a 'bass' Pod version.
As far as the eq you suggest, are you speaking of a pedal eq, so guitar to pedal to Pod?
When you say usb controller you mean a usb midi keyboard to plug into the computer?
As far as monitors, I'd imagine I wouldn't have to spend all that much to get something at least halfway decent. Maybe a base model MAudio would be good?
Sorry for blasting you with so many questions and many thanks for your help :)

metal_cd said:
Is it really as easy as it looks? You said you are trying it, do you have a demo? I thought I only saw a way to purchase and not to demo it.
Might take your advice on the bass guitar. Maybe find a cheap one on ebay. I can run it through the same Pod no problem? I guess I ask this because I saw they have a 'bass' Pod version.
As far as the eq you suggest, are you speaking of a pedal eq, so guitar to pedal to Pod?
When you say usb controller you mean a usb midi keyboard to plug into the computer?
As far as monitors, I'd imagine I wouldn't have to spend all that much to get something at least halfway decent. Maybe a base model MAudio would be good?
Sorry for blasting you with so many questions and many thanks for your help :)

Yes it is easy as it looks. A friend of mine lent me his copy.
Yes you can run you bass through your POD. You don't have to get the bass POD just start with the POD. If your not happy with the results then get a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver.
Yes I was talking about an EQ pedal in that configuration.
I don't mind the questions I'm just glad to help. :)

Another 2 cents

I have a one room homestudio.
You can see what I've done and purchased thus far on my website.
Consider perusing the websites of others for ideas too! ;)
HSG

metal_cd said:
Are you thinking a midi keyboard to control midi software would be good?
Yep, alot of nice cheap soft synths out there.
Would it be a good idea to get a firewire interface and also make sure it has a midi input which I currently do not have.
Yes
I was looking at some packages, I think they inlcuded things like an AKG mic, Sennheiser headphone, MAudio interface, MAudio monitors(are these good?), ect.
Good is a loose term around here. Will they work? Yes they will for someone at your level.
You suggested a Rode mic, in looking it seems a NT1A is the standard? It looks pretty good and is relatively affordable.
Ouch! Did I deserve that? :D Just kidding. Actually the NT1A would not be my first choice. Why? Because like you when I was pretty new to all of this, I bought one and in one word it stinks. The RODE suggestion was just in one of the packages. AT2020 or AT3035 are nice starters.
As far as a soundcard, is the factory one going to be fine? If I have the interface doesn't that act as a soundcard or am I not seeing that correctly?
Thanks again!
That is correct. No card needed if you go with a FW or USB interface. And you're welcome.
:D

I'd recommend the tascam fw-1082 . It has everthing you'd need. Its a Firewire audio interface, A control surface(meaning it will controll your sequencer program such as Sonar) Midi interface, and has 4 mic pres with phantom power. as for a midi keyboard the m-audio Oxygen V8 is a pretty decent. Sonar is a great program . Ez drummer loops are excellent. Also the New tascam Fireone looks really cool .

fw-1082 = 600
ez drummer = 160
sonar home studio = 100 or > depends on what you need the fw-1082 comes with cubase le aswell
oxygen v8 = 120

could be up and running making music for under a grand. just a few thoughts )

Last edited:
Back