home studio help

roachy

basically ive just started at uni studying sound engineering design doundation degree

im looking to turn my bedroom at home into a home recording studio

i will be using it to record vocals as well as produce music, my room is about 14 x 12 ft

basically i need help on cheapest sound proofing products, how to lay out the room, particians ect

will i need a seperate recording booth for the mic and vocals ect and is there any good layouts for a room this size?

if some one could help id be gratefull

With some research, you can have some luck on Ebay for the soundproofing products. I bought a good deal of wedge foam from a seller on there.. (Foam4Less or something like that..) As far as a lay out, if all you need is a vocal booth, then make a booth somewhere around 6x6. That should be plenty.

the thing is i have a window up one side of the wall i don know how id go about the layout im still figuring it out

what about the insulating foam for the floor boards , walls , and wheres the best sit to get the partition tools from?

I would recommend staying away from foam as a total solution to a room like that, and especially stay away from the off-brand manufacturers. In many cases you can make panels from rigid fiberglass or mineral wool for just a little bit more than the foam will cost you, and the panels will be far more useful in terms of treating the room for low end. I know the foam manufacturers claim that their bass traps work well, but a quick look at their own test data proves otherwise (*IF* they have test data, which is one of the problems with the off-brand guys).

My control room is close to the same size as yours. Here's what I did do it.

Frank

what is an estimated price on soundproofing of a room 11ft x 8?

and if you can , please give me some ideas where to buy soundproofing material from for walls and ceilings im completely new at all this tbh but as im studying it at uni and id rather do alot of my work at home without my neighbours or parents wingin about the noise

what is an estimated price on soundproofing of a room 11ft x 8?

and if you can , please give me some ideas where to buy soundproofing material from for walls and ceilings im completely new at all this tbh but as im studying it at uni and id rather do alot of my work at home without my neighbours or parents wingin about the noise

Do you mean acoustically treating, as in making the room sound better? Or do you really mean sound proofing, as in preventing noise from coming in or going out? They are completely different goals that often work at cross-purposes.

Frank

If you're only gonna record vox I wouldn't worry about bothering the peeps.

If you're gonna record drums and electric guitar and bass then yeah, you might raise some hackles.

Just go for some simple room treatment. 703 covered with muslin. You don't need a "dead" room, you just need to get the room mode frequencies tamed so there isn't one frequency that jumps out every time you hit it.

Dig???

Do a google for room modes.

just wanted to know what the best bet would be to soundproof the room so i can produce music , play music loud and not disturb downstairs or the neighbours

as well as that i need to build a recording booth within the room

the room is only 11ft x 8ft

i was thinking of sectioning of part of the room 4ft x 8ft for a recording booth

the remaining 7ft x 8ft for the mixing room

if you could help me with ideas on soundproofing and treatment id be very gratefull

Last edited:
just started with the sound proofing this week

got the 2 walls done as the house is a semi detached so only 2 walls have needed to be done

they cost me over $1400 for the two walls was given the 50 mil rock wool for free is the silent board wich cost the most

im gettin the walls plasterd and the floor done this week so i should be ready to paint this weekend

looking for equipment to buy one the sound proofing has been completed and the decorating has been finished

will up the pics soon

purchasing this pc this week as well

quadcore 9500, 3gig dominator mem, 500gighd maudio soundcard, 8600gt grfx card, with twin screen

let me know on what yu think peeps

ive just started at uni studying sound engineering design doundation degree
I'd submit you need an education in punctuation and spelling first.:rolleyes: BTW, what is "doundation"?

1 Week Ago 14:02

just wanted to know what the best bet would be to soundproof the room so i can produce music , play music loud and not disturb downstairs or the neighbours

5 Hours Ago 17:48

the sound proofing has been completed

:confused: Hmmm, for knowing next to nothing, to job completion thats the fastest "soundproofing" job I've EVER seen. Tell us please..exactly what TL(you know...that "soundproofing") you achieved between your space and downstairs, and how you achieved it. I'm sure lots of folks here would be interested. Typically it is impossible to "soundproof". Bet you can't play a set of drums in there without disturbin........oops...I forgot. You "SOUNDPROOFED" it.

just the walls have been done

the joiner built a frame onto the walls with 3x2 timber, not sure on the distance between each batton but he filled the cavitys with 75mm 45kg per m3 rockwool then he fastened ply wood to the frame and the the silent board onto it creating the room within a room effect

the flooring arrives on friday an instead of building a "floating floor" i have been advised on another product called impactaly+ basically i la down tyhe impactaly on topp of my floor board and carpet over it,

i am still going to take the floorboards up and install rockwool between the joist and then after placing them back , lay down the impactalay +

here are the links to the products i am using

http://www.acoustic-supplies.com/products/walls/jcw-silent-board.aspx
silentboard

http://www.acoustic-supplies.com/products/floors/jcw-impactalay-plus.aspx
impactaly+

i also have used the sealants available on this site to minimise as much as i can

i understand i wont have the room fully sound proofed but this should drastically reduce air born sound and take me to where i wnt to go

What you've created is a 40dB assembly basically. It's just a hair more than a standard wall would be, which makes sense when you consider that all you really did was add a layer of board behind the sheet rock, plus the insulation which wouldn't normally be added to interior walls. It's not bad, but you won't be able to play "loud", and low end will leak like a sieve. You also didn't address ceiling or floor, and that will be a problem as well especially since that room will be coupled to the spaces to each side *and* below it.

Frank

th flooring will be done this week its havin the floor boaRDs taken up and adding the acoustic rockwool in the joist then putting them back down and th layin the impactalay+ on top then carpet ect

the company said i shoube abe to pay music up to 80db

th flooring will be done this week its havin the floor boaRDs taken up and adding the acoustic rockwool in the joist then putting them back down and th layin the impactalay+ on top then carpet ect

the company said i shoube abe to pay music up to 80db

With all that, your door will probably be the weak link. Are you planning anything for the door?

i need to purchase a soundproof door tbh if its too expensive then the next best thing

iv not realy looked online at sound proof doors but if any one an give me any pointers on how to save money or other solutions id be grateful

i need to purchase a soundproof door tbh if its too expensive then the next best thing

iv not realy looked online at sound proof doors but if any one an give me any pointers on how to save money or other solutions id be grateful

Dude...:D
a sound proof studio type of a door isn't gonna do anything for ya at this point. :p

(other solution)
Seriously man...Take the money you'd spend on the "sound proof" door and just start putting it towards treatment. Bass traps or broadband treatment, diffusors, maybe an acoustic cloud etc.
You won't get the soundproofing like you're thinkin you will (although it will be a little better) so ya might as well make it a balanced listening enviroment so that...what you hear is a true representation of what's really goin on in the mix. That in itself, will get you farther.

my 2 pesos...fwiw...ymmv....boobs...I like cheese...;)

Last edited:
Oh...and there's a couple really good dudes that hang here that do room treatment stuff.

Frank (weaselDude:D)
and
Ethan Winer

(and I meant to put boobs in place of cheese :D)

With some research, you can have some luck on Ebay for the soundproofing products. I bought a good deal of wedge foam from a seller on there.. (Foam4Less or something like that..) As far as a lay out, if all you need is a vocal booth, then make a booth somewhere around 6x6. That should be plenty.

Foam, Ebay "soundproofing" and square rooms.
Stop it.

dood...
Ya can't hold these things in man. :(

:p
;) :p :)......
I'm certainly not the know-all-end-all-be-all about this stuff, but I cringe when I see stuff like that. I've had a room with foam and I have a properly treated room now. I cant decide what would make me a bigger dick a.) calling someone out on bad advise, or b.) letting it go and letting someone waste their money based on it. Either way, I figure I'm a dick. :p

Back