Home Studio Design

ollie2670

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to this site and to the whole setting up your own studio experience in general, but after reading some threads I feel that this is the place to get good answers, and I would like to ask for some advice from people with experience in this area because the only way you can learn is if you ask, even if they're completely noob questions.

I'm studying music technology in college, so I thought it was only natural progression to move onto some home projects in recording. I am building an extension onto a 2 story shed which is going to be a new room, the roof of the new room will be the height of the 2 story's in the existing shed. The plan is that the new room with the high ceiling would be the live room, while the upstairs room in the existing shed would be the control room.

The new live room will be a basic square room with the stairs to the control room running along one wall on the inside of the live room. I attached a quick diagram of what the live room would look like, just to give an idea of sizes and where the door and stairs are.

The dimensions of the live room will roughly be 11 feet by 12 feet and then 12 feet in height, with a slight slope of about 5 inches from one wall to another.

Right, to my questions. First of all, I'm very new to the area of acoustic treatment and such, so what kind of recommendations could you give me about how the room should be set up, is it even a good shaped room for recording? I've heard a higher ceiling can be better but I'm guessing thats only if I have all the right treatment to go along with it.

Basically I need help with a run through plan of how to kit out my live room from top to bottom so that it will sound fairly decent. I would be greatly appreciative if anybody could give me their ideas and suggestions about my project, and bear in mind the room actually hasn't been constructed yet so if it's really badly shaped for a live room now then it can be open to some change if people think it'd make the overall room sound better!

Thanks very much for reading this and I can't wait to hear any good advice that you could throw my way

Attachments

• snapshot.jpg
    snapshot.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 81
Disclaimer that I'm not a person who does this for a living or anything - in fact I've got a thread of my own that I'm hoping for answers on (guess I'm now sensitive to threads that no one has answered :) ) I think most of us have to accept a space that's less than ideal - unless Don Henley or Paul Macarthy are lurking on here somewhere. So though I think folks here would say rightly that a room that is almost a cube is not a great choice, that the shape will create strong modes or "standing waves" that will re-enforce each other because the modes would be almost the same on all axis - I still think it can be a workable space if you know its limitations.

I'd like someone to check me, but I think droping the ceiling to a 15 degree slope would help - that'd be 21.6 inches of drop on one end I guess. Bass traps bass traps bass traps is what people I respect say, but I don't like it too dead.

To me, having an accurate room for mixing and a great sounding room for recording are two different problems. We all know of recordings that have been made in showers, on roof tops, in stair wells, etc. so hey, artistry is where you find it. Not accuracy though. I'm hoping it will soon change, but so far I've had to be a "headphone heretic" knowing that my room is not an accurate environment, and at least with my isolating (and fairly expensive) in-ear monitors I know what the issues are going to be and how to compensate for them over time. I take comfort that (should anyone ever actually want to listen to something of mine) that they're more likely to hear it on phones anyway. If I ever have a problem with the radio, I'll be sure and get a better room. :)

For whatever its worth, keep or sweep as you see fit. Its worth exactly what you paid for it :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thanks very much for reading this and I can't wait to hear any good advice that you could throw my way
Two suggestions at this point..

Buy this book.

Amazon.com: Home Recording Studio Build it Like the Pros (0082039530345): Rod Gervais: Books

And go here...

RealTraps - Home

Those two sources will tell you more than anyone can here in a few posts. However, it will help if you provide us with some additional information.

1. Your isolation needs. ie..Do you need it in regards to neighbors/your home and or
environmental noise?
2. Type of music and instruments you intend on recording.
3. Existing conditions..ie..your Home/CR construction.
4. Existing CR layout and setup
5. Budget

Can you provide a Section drawing showing how your CR interfaces with the new room? Since your CR is on a second floor, and the roof of the new room will intersect the exterior wall, I'd like to see it. And or a plan of your CR as well?

Until we have a better overview of your recording intentions and existing conditions, we can't offer much in the way of suggestions.

Home music production and home studio design are the largest growing areas of the recording industry. Advancements in computer technology coupled with a less profitable recording industry have led the pro audio manufacturers to go where the money is… Home.

For a relatively small amount of money, a home music production studio is now at the fingertips of the novice, enthusiast, and everybody who has a song and a dream. If you want to create the right home studio design for your needs, the following article will point you in the right direction.Every person is different and works and thinks in unique ways.

Back