Home studio building

xtxetherxtx

Hello Good Folks,

Im in the midst of building a home studio and i have some questions i need answered with a few good opinions & suggestions.

K, So currently I am living in a one bedroom apartment out of which im moving into a 4 bedroom house, 2 of which i am able to use for the studio, Equipment wise i have ...

Microphone - AKG Perception 420
Monitors - 2 M-Audio BX5 D2s
Interface - Mbox Mini 3
Protools 8 LE

The sizes of the 2 rooms are nearly identical about 12'x14'
(Both have caarpet) It is a lease so won't be able to change that factor much

I was planning to use one as a control room and one as a vocal booth,
It will be used mostly for rap vocals and singing R&B from time to time.
My budget is $650

I also have some friends selling equipment
* MPC 500 - $250
*Digi 003 - $300

I guess what im looking to get from this thread is...

Would it be a good idea to add a preamp to my setup, If so which would be good for my budget?
Cost effective Ideas on sound treatment for the vocal booth, and control room for mixing & recording?
would it be better to buy the 003 instead of a preamp?

All i ideas & feedback are appreciated thanks.

How many simultaneous microphones do you want to use?

The mbox has a preamp built it.
You could add a second one by plugging a standalone preamp into channel two's line input.

The digi 004 has 4 mic preamps and various options for expansion, giving a maximum potential of 18 mic preamps.

If you're just tracking one mic at any given time, there's probably no point buying any more interfaces or preamps.

Ah,ok.
The 003 preamps aren't spectacular.

I'm not familiar with the current mbox range, but the mbox 2 and 002/003 preamps never did anything for me.

The best bet in this case would be to pick up a belter single channel preamp and run the line level out from it into channel two line input on the mbox.

Back