Home studio acoustic design

straight8413

I'm building a home studio in a 20'x22' room in my basement...right now I'm on the waterproofing stage and haven't framed anything out as yet...and I'm wondering if I can get some input regarding the best inexpensive wall covering. Room currently has a cement floor and walls, so it's pretty much a bare slate. I'd rather not try and do anything super fancy that, unless done perfect and with a ton of $, will sound worse than if I'd just left things alone. This is my first home studio where I've had the opportunity to start from scratch (I own the house) and would kinda like to know what you guys would do if you had a bare slate but a limited budget...not exactly a beer budget as I'm doing the framing/wiring myself so I can spend a little more cash on materials. Some considerations are:

1. It has a drop ceiling
2. The only things that are going to be recorded are bass (DI), drums, guitar and vocals. No horns or strings or any of that.
3. There are 2 metal structural support posts in the middle of the room, can be boxed in and/or treated

Basically I'm looking to start simple but avoid having to compensate for an awful room later on in the recording process as much as possible.

Thanks!

Your room is almost square, which is not good, so maybe consider building storage along one wall so you end up with something like a 16'x22' room. Sheetrock is the usual wall stuff - with insulation in the stud cavities, then build bass traps/corner superchunks, ceiling cloud, etc. to tame reflections.

Back