Home studio above basement

davecg321

Up until recently I was using my groggy basement as a studio. It was great for getting dry recordings but lacked the comfort and inspiration needed to finish projects. I've since bought a few wall panels for my living/dining room which is direcly above the basement.

The flooring is basic laminate stuff laid down on wooden beams with some insulation. Directly under this is the basement of course. Will this be detrimental to my recordings as I'm not recording on solid ground so to speak (concrete)

?

The wooden floor will be largely 'transparent' to low frequencies and so you have a golden opportunity to put oodles of trapping in there to control the bass.
I assume of course that there is no noise source in the basement, washing machine, AC? I f this were the case you might need to add a mass layer to the floor and get it airtight.

But! There are PROPER acoustics people here. You would do well to post a drawing of the room and basement with dimensions.

Dave.

The wooden floor will be largely 'transparent' to low frequencies and so you have a golden opportunity to put oodles of trapping in there to control the bass.
I assume of course that there is no noise source in the basement, washing machine, AC? I f this were the case you might need to add a mass layer to the floor and get it airtight.

But! There are PROPER acoustics people here. You would do well to post a drawing of the room and basement with dimensions.

Dave.

trapping in the room I'm using to record in or the basement?

Back