Home Depot Shed for recording and mixing

jiagap

I am looking to build a man-cave recording/mixing room. It will be primarily me on guitars and vocals. Of these two dimensions, which would be preferred for overall mixing at a desk in the center of one of the narrow walls? And why? 10X20 or 12x16?

Thanks for any thoughts

definitely the 10 x 20, less problems with bass! and standing waves even before treating the room.

what are a ceiling dimensions?...that is just as important

definitely the 10 x 20, less problems with bass! and standing waves even before treating the room.

what are a ceiling dimensions?...that is just as important

THanks on the 10 x20

I think I will have an option of 7 foot ceilings or vaulted to the roof shape. Is there a preference?

THanks on the 10 x20

I think I will have an option of 7 foot ceilings or vaulted to the roof shape. Is there a preference?

The vaulted ceiling will provide fewer parallel surfaces, which is desirable in an acoustically-minded room. Having 2 dimensions of the room as multiples of each other will be a little problematic but not as bad as when more than one dimension is the same (10x10, or worse yet 10x10x10).

But I'm not sure that a shed will be a good idea. Are you going to try for sound isolation from the outside world? What about ventilation? Climate control to protect your instruments and gear?

The vaulted ceiling will provide fewer parallel surfaces, which is desirable in an acoustically-minded room. Having 2 dimensions of the room as multiples of each other will be a little problematic but not as bad as when more than one dimension is the same (10x10, or worse yet 10x10x10).

But I'm not sure that a shed will be a good idea. Are you going to try for sound isolation from the outside world? What about ventilation? Climate control to protect your instruments and gear?

yes, I plan to wire, insulate, and sheet rock - I do not need sound isolation, as I am in the middle of nowhere, but I will give it climate control. Thx

On the vaulted ceiling, I do have the option of adding a loft to one side or the other. If I place the mixing desk center against one of the 10' walls, and have a 4 foot deep loft above the mixing desk with then the remaining length (16') of the room open and vaulted, how does that sound? Or any other preferable suggestions?

TBH, if you get the 10x20 room try to lose a foot off the 20. 10x19 will give you a lot better acoustic area than 10x20. Just saying.

TBH, if you get the 10x20 room try to lose a foot off the 20. 10x19 will give you a lot better acoustic area than 10x20. Just saying.

That's what I was thinking too...sacrifice one foot on the length, and you've eliminated the common denominator. It may even be possible to utilize that extra foot for a storage closet or similar.

That's what I was thinking too...sacrifice one foot on the length, and you've eliminated the common denominator. It may even be possible to utilize that extra foot for a storage closet or similar.

Would 1 foot deep book cases work?

Thats exactly what I was going to suggest, the books also act as a defuser to some degree.

Alan.

back on the vaulted ceiling, what about a 4' deep loft at the 8 foot level at either or both ends? On would be above my mixing desk, and the other would be above the book shelves. Leaving 12 ' of vaulted in the center. Pros or cons?

thanks, and have really been appreciating all responses

Back