Help treating my room

M3TA1

I'm looking to treat my room better than I have right now. I have foam right now. And YES I am aware it's not very effective so I don't need to be reminded. :) This is why I'm looking to do it better this time around. I've been in this room for around 4 years now with pretty much the same setup. I'm sure there are many problem frequencies that I'm not aware of and am just used to. I usually have to go back and forth between testing my mixes on many setups. So there aren't specific problems I'm looking to address, I just want an overall more accurate room.

My home studio is around 13ft by 15ft. After I treat my room I'm looking to get either the Yamaha HS7 or HS8 studio monitors as well.

At this point, it's just a matter of purchasing the best treatment possible for my budget and room. My budget is $650CAD max before taxes. I'm looking at buying new and from a reputable Canadian music store. Right now I'm looking at these kits:
Primacoustic London 10 Studio Kit (Black) [London 10 Blk] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store
Primacoustic London 8 Studio Kit (Black) [London 8 Blk] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store

Also considering these bass traps:
Ultimate Acoustics UA-BTB Bass Trap (Pair) [17608] : AVShop.ca - Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store

I was looking at GIK acoustics but the problem is getting them in Canada. No retailers in Canada carry these and ordering online would be way too expensive considering the exchange rate, shipping, and duties. I need something I can purchase from a Canadian retailer and I'm not interested in building my own at this time.

Would that treatment kit and bass traps be a good combination for my room? And which kit should I go for? If not, are there any other treatment kits or products available from either these 2 sites:
AVShop.ca, Canada's Pro Audio, Video and DJ Store
Canada's Music Store, Musical Instruments | Long & McQuade

Here are some pics of my room:
(I will be getting a new desk and my new monitors will be on stands once I treat my room)

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback and recommendations.

That stuff is just crazy expensive. Is it not possible for you to learn how to build some treatment panels on your own? I mean, a pair of 24" tall bass traps ($129 cad) is not even going to do one single corner! I built 3 floor to ceiling traps for about $150...

That stuff is just crazy expensive. Is it not possible for you to learn how to build some treatment panels on your own? I mean, a pair of 24" tall bass traps ($129 cad) is not even going to do one single corner! I built 3 floor to ceiling traps for about $150...

At this time I'd rather not build them myself. I'm not very good with building this stuff, and I don't really have the tools or space. Maybe in the future but for now I'd rather just buy the treatment.
I can always hold off on the bass traps and just work on the essentials like getting my first reflection points taken care of. I just need advice as to whether I should get the Primacoustics London 8 or 10. Or if I should consider something else.

The two things you have against you concerning your room, is you are outside of the bolt area and your cubic feet just passes the min specks of 1500 c/f. I am only mentioning this to you to help you from wasting your money on better mons. With that being said, I would go with the London 10s. Be extremely precise on locating the direct reflections path as well as the slap back.

I would also suggest, if you can, buy some cheap bookshelves and try and fit them wall to wall, floor to ceiling, on the wall opposite from the direction your mons are pointing and fill them with any books you can get your hands on. They are great for diffusion.

Between the London 10s and the Bookshelves, you will see a 100% improvement over the foam you have now. Just keep in mind that even if you buy top of the line mons, they will not be able to work as they should and you may not get the results you are seeking.

Here is a GREAT VIDEO for someone in your situation. It deals with 5 things you can do to get better sound, under $150.00. Bobby Owsinski is known world wide for his perception of why your audio sounds the way it does and it may be the best 1.9 hrs you ever spend concerning sound treatment for your room.

If you want to dig deeper into the math and what to expert from your room, click here and just put in the dimensions. If the link works correctly, your dimensions should already be entered. Make sure you have your speakers on and it will also play the freqs that will be effected as well. This will give you a close picture of where your problem areas will be located, but let your ears be the final judge.

No, don't waste your money any any of those 'kits' you linked. Primacoustics stuff is good for what it is, but you need 4" thick minimum to absorb bass frequencies. Those 'bass traps' are just foam - you need rockwool. You'd do better buying a bunch of rolls of standard fibreglass insulation (pink stuff) and piling them in your room's back corners.
Look into youtubes showing you how to build your own bass traps. You don't even need to build frames if you use OC703 or 705, just wrap the pieces with cloth and hang them on the wall.

Back