Help with studio- which room to use?

conanthewarrior

Hi everyone, I have a problem in regards which room to use as my home studio.

Now, the first room seems the most logical. It was my grandfathers, but he sadly passed away last August. I can remove everything from this room, and turn it into my studio. There is space for a desk, enough room to practice my instruments, and seems great. There is even a door that leads to its own toilet, so I don't have to walk far for bathroom breaks.

The big issue- one wall has a huge window that takes up most of the wall. If this wasn't there, I would start moving my stuff in there today.

Could I still get reasonable sound quality recording in there if I added some acoustic treatment?

5sTwRUz.jpg

0YdWCp9.jpg

The next room is upstairs, the only room upstairs as it is a conversion. It is around the same size as the first room, it is not square as the walls are around about 5 feet high, then curve upwards towards the ceiling of around 8 feet. There is a little alcove that dips in, changing the shape further.

This seems great, but there is one major issue- there is a full size pool table,bar billiards table, and fruit machine that I can not remove. I could just about fit a desk in there, but there is no room for me to move around when recording guitar, or to practice. It also gets extremely hot in the summer, and freezing cold in the winter, unlike downstairs. The barbilliards table is to the right and not in this image.

9g9zNWW.jpg

I'm currently recording in my living room, setting everything up when I want to record, and this is far from ideal. I need a room dedicated to my set up.

So, what would you choose? I'm hoping it is the first room, but if the window is a big issue it will have to do. I only have these two rooms I can use, the other rooms in my house are either in use, or too small.

Thanks for your help, Conan.

I don't see how you could work around that pool/billiard table, ever.

Unless there's a huge amount of outside noise always coming in through the window, the first room seems the most logical. Looks like there are some heavier drapes that can be pulled across the windows, so I'd plan to keep those closed and add some auxilliary lighting (LEDs). Then, yes you'll need treatment, but get the room emptied and post a diagram with dimensions so others can suggest layouts. Also, what you'll be recording and mixing can suggest what to treat first.

Thank you for your help.

It did seem the first room would be the best option, but I was worried about the window. I just need to find somewhere for the bed (it's a hospital bed we bought, but he never made it out of hospital to use) and then can get going.

I live down a fairly quiet road, there is the odd car that goes by but it isn't constant noise.

I was thinking of putting the desk where the bed is now- by the headboard. It would be preferable if I didn't have to start completely tearing the room apart- I've got back into music production since I became ill to pass the time. Obviously I wish to continue when I am completely better as it is something I have always enjoyed, just not done it as much in the past few years.

The only things in there really are the bed, and the chair. The wardrobes are built in. Would it be possible to get some decent recordings without tearing the wardrobes out? I've managed to record in my living room with no treatment at all, and it sounds OK, but thats to me. It might sound awful to other people.

Bedroom certainly. If noise ingress/egress is not too much of a problem the window just needs treatment to stop it being a big reflector.

The b/I wardrobe can be filled with bags of rockwool or GF and serve as bass traps. Face the insides of the doors with absorbent and you have adjustable acoustics!

But yes, give us WxLxH.

Dave.

I've just took the measurements, it is 14 feet from the wall to the window, then 11 feet from the headboard side to the other wall, and the height is 8 feet and 6.7 Inches.

So 14Ftx 11Ft X 8 Ft 6.7 inches.

Im glad the window shouldn't be a big issue, and my family will be even happier that I don't need to tear the wardrobes out- filling them with something would be OK, they would't be happy if I started making major changes though. Acoustic treatment and similar will be fine, as will taking out the bed to make room.

What is best for me to do next, apart from the obvious of the missing link in my setup- monitors. I'm just getting back into production, and this time really want to get into it. I've been very ill so it will be something I can do at home to keep me occupied.
I have everything I need such as computer, DAW, interfaces, mic's, stands, amps, instruments, a few sets of monitor headphones, just not any main monitors, or room treatment.

EDIT: using this calculator, amroc - THE Room Mode Calculator, it seems my room is in the 'sweet spot' of the graph. I guess this is a good thing?

Yes, you're fortunate to have a room that's a good size because it will make life easier.

Move the bed out and probably set the opposite where the headboard is because if you have monitors in between those built-in cabinets on both sides and above, you'll have a lot of treatment to do right there.

If you could remove and store the doors to those cabinets then even filled with a collection of odd books and magazines will make them much more effective, i.e., without needing to immediately pack them with rockwool.

Start shopping for some monitors and some some treatment for the walls and window (if the drapes aren't heavy enough) to insure you can manage early reflections off the sides (and possibly ceiling if treatment is an option there). Then start recording and see what's not working.

Back