[HELP] Strangely shaped room, limited treatment supplies for home-recording

jdenmo

Hey guys, I have a limited amount of supplies and am looking for advice on how to best use what I have.

BACKGROUND

I've been recording songs of terrible quality for years on limited gear and recently managed to record 20 songs with multiple instruments with only 1 SM57, one instrument at a time. I have progressed and have finally managed to get a nice interface and computer with new mics (Focusrite Clarett 4Pre, 2.8ghz iMac, MD421 and more .etc) which is all I need for a "classic rock" feel IMO.

So what I lack in experience I try to make up for in determination.

I am going to be recording guitar, bass and vocals in my bedroom- yes it sounds like the typical amateur thing to do but as far as the budget goes, it's my only option. Drums will be recorded at another, treated location (or in a barn we'll see) so I don't necessarily have to worry about those.

ROOM MEASUREMENTS

Height: 8.5ft
Length: 11.5ft
Length (including closet): 15ft
Width: 13ft

Closet dimensions: Width 3.5ft by Length 7ft (roughly)

My room isn't a cube but it's pretty close. The one wall has 2 slanted, triangular corners and a small space between. Then the closets ceiling is also slanted, so it's kind of "unique" in a sense.

PHOTOS

Here is pictures of my room (yes its quite messy but I'm in the stage of unloading a bunch of gear and clearing out items that rattle or .etc)

PHOTO ALBUM: Room studio - Album on Imgur

I tried to draw a quick sketch for reference:

DIAGRAM: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

MATERIALS I HAVE TO WORK WITH

I managed to get a really good deal on some local stuff and then got the foam from Amazon

QTY: 3
2 x 4 ft, 2.5 inch Acoustic Panels for absorption- 4.5pcf glass wool with a very nice weave black fabric, in a wooden frame I believe (from a high end local radio station and studio supplier in the GTA)
They look like this: http://www.atsacoustics.com/media/images/product_detail/B300-1.jpg

QTY: 4
4 Medium sized, high quality Bass traps (from the same above supplier)
They look like this: http://www.sruinsulation.co.uk/image/cache/data/bass-trap-240x240.jpg

QTY: 12
1 x 1 ft 2 inch beveled foam: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S5J1X04/ref=pe_386430_192811720_TE_3p_dp_1

SUMMARY

So basically I have 24ft of Acoustic panels, 4 fat bass traps and 12ft of 2 inch foam.

Ideally, I want to minimize bass frequencies, echos and rattling from building up in corners- but I have no idea which corners to put said bass traps in due to the closet.

I'd also like to minimize the echos and reverb from jamming, and feeding back into my amplifier. Not sure where to put the foam either.

I'm aware that to get "professional level" quality I'm going to need way more stuff, or a different room... but this situation is just a matter of making the best use of what I do have!

WHAT I THINK

I figure I could have 3 of the panels set up on the main wall behind the drum kit- I'll be likely pointing my amps towards it so it seems like it will absorb the most. Plus, thats the rest of the house behind that wall, so hopefully it will take a little bit of the punch out, not necessarily soundproofing but less noise getting through that wall.

Now I have done several sound tests and have eliminated most of the amp rattles from my guitar, but the bass seems to really buzz into the corners of my closet (amp is next to it though) so I'm working on that.

I think I'll put the bass traps in the main 4 corners, and then foam the shit out of my closet. But once again, I don't really know so any advice is appreciated!

Your new layout is with the desk in the closet? Not good - too many corners to bounce around extra bass. I'd recommend that you put the desk in the center of the 13' wall (where the sofa is).
Haven't heard anything good (or negative, really) on those corner foam 'bass traps', but rockwool is the recommended material for bass traps, foam doesn't absorb much on the low end, even if thick.

Back