Help With New Studio Space

bdam123

Hey guys,

Its that time again. I just made a move into a new space and I really need some advice on treating it. Its quite the awkward room for a studio but its really all I have to work with. I'll try to be as detailed as possible with the description.

So the first couple things to note are that the front (or at least where its seems to make the most sense to put the desk) is actually mostly glass. Pictured here:

Front.jpg

The dimensions are 17ft across and 7ft 10in high. You'll notice the wall extension thats on the left side. That comes out 3ft and is 6ft 5in from the glass.

Since I can't knock out this down and build a real wall, I was thinking about doing a false wall made of sheet rock and 2"x4" stuffed with Roxul.

The rear of the room is 21ft from the front and is actually only a partial wall because there is a staircase leading upstairs. Pictured here:

Rear.jpg

The left side, you see can the extension that I mentioned before along with a couple more that form a little crevice that is the perfect dimension to put my small studio couch in. Pictured here:

Left.jpg

Now the odd part of the room is the right side. Its actually almost another room. There is a mini bar in it that if was absent would have made the space way more workable. As of right now, I don't even know what I'm going to do with it and its basically just an empty room attached to the right side of my studio room. Pictured here:

Right.jpg

I build plenty of panels (3in Roxul w/ 2in air space) for my last studio. I also made plenty of super chunk bass traps. So all the usual suspects here.

My questions are as follows:

1) Do you guys think that a coupled wall made of sheet rock, 2x4, and stuffed with Roxul placed in front of the glass will be enough to prevent bothering the neighbors? I've researched how to construct decoupled sound proof walls and I'm willing to put in the work and pay for the materials if it means keeping my neighbors happy.

2) With 21ft of space should I have the desk flush up against the front wall or back some? Reminder that about 6.5ft back and I'm even with that door way on the left side.

3) I have a 4.5ft wide 2D diffuser. Considering I'll be about 4ft back if I choose to put the desk flush against the front wall (and even further back obviously if I choose not to), with my dimensions could I place the diffusers on the rear wall?

4) I also has four 2ft x 2ft 2D diffusers that I used on my ceiling in my last studio. How far back should they be placed in this room? Does that depend ultimately on where I place my desk?

5) What do I do with the "room" on my right side? Should I at least put up panels on that far wall? The other sides are either closet doors or that bar.

6) Any and all suggestions on the use of the panels or suggestions in general are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanks for the consideration guys. I know this is a long post but I got a ton of good help a couple years ago for my other room and I know I can use the help for this one.

A single 'decoupled' wall isn't going to stop all the sound getting out - it will transmit through the floor to the other walls and to the glass.
Nice big space, but I'm at a loss on the best way to do things. Ideally you want a symmetrical desk location for the front of the room, then any unsymmetry in the back can use a lot of traps.
How about setting up facing that wall that is shown in the bottom picture so the cabinets are to your left, and the closets to the right? You'll need to throw a bunch of 2" first reflection traps on either side wherever you can, of course. If the door on the right is left open, that acts as a trap, because sound goes through it, not bouncing back into the room.

A single 'decoupled' wall isn't going to stop all the sound getting out - it will transmit through the floor to the other walls and to the glass.
Nice big space, but I'm at a loss on the best way to do things. Ideally you want a symmetrical desk location for the front of the room, then any unsymmetry in the back can use a lot of traps.
How about setting up facing that wall that is shown in the bottom picture so the cabinets are to your left, and the closets to the right? You'll need to throw a bunch of 2" first reflection traps on either side wherever you can, of course. If the door on the right is left open, that acts as a trap, because sound goes through it, not bouncing back into the room.

Do you have any suggestions for the sound proof wall situation?

Also, that bar is really just going to mess up my entire vibe.

Obviously, the space is far from ideal. I just want to know how to get it the best I can. I won't be doing any major mixing in the space but there will be plenty of production going on.

To 'sound proof' you need to completely decouple the whole recording space - floor, walls and ceiling.

My main concern is to stop sound from escaping through the wall with the glass.

Anyone else got any suggestions or tips?

Escaping? Sure you do not mean entering?

In any case, you could build another wall outside on the porch. It seems ideal for you to do this, but it will not look so cool unless you spend the money to make it so.

Place looks great by the way. Maybe you should just try temporary gobos/room treatment and see what happens. That is where I would start. Keep the vibe of the room. See how it works for you before doing anything drastic as far as adding shit and altering the space.

Back