Help me plan my space, a new approach

note2scott

Hey again guys, for those of you who have been following my OTHER thread, here is perhaps a better approach to what I was asking for assistance with, I should have started my previous request like this to begin with, so I appologize if this seems repetetive, long story short, I am looking to convert my current basement into a studio space, my needs are as follows

Currently:

The cieling is only 7'8" and that is to the beams in the cieling which will have to have to be filled between with 3" rockwool and then covered in drywall and painted, the walls with be 2x4's with the same 3" rockwool and then drywall, currently the outside walls are solid cinder block, on the other side of these cinder blocks (top and bottom in photos) are my neighbors, so I do need to treat these walls so the sound won't bleed through. There is one window which is only about 6 inches high and is located at the VERY top of the wall on the right most side shown in the picture. The one wall that currently exists is shown against the outside of the stairwell, this wall exists currently but will be ripped down and recreated when construction starts, the only other thing to keep in mind is the "utility room space" shown in the top right corner using invisible walls, these can either be created as walls or moved about to make the utility room larger but NOT smaller.

The plan: 2 rooms,

FIRST room is a vocal and SMALL instrument booth, about 95% for vocals and about 5% for sampling some instruments , most likely never need to record an entire track with a "real instrument" should be about 8x8 to 10x10 and shape in such a way that it allows the best accoustics for the room.

SECOND room is a studio space, to be used for mixing, and creation of original music using your typical software packages, the music will mostly be hip hop and electronic. this space will also be where the artists and clients will sit, to listen while I mix and create music and offer opinions. It will also house a small bar and a second PC that will NOT be used for audio (research and internet use). This room will be about 14 x 20

Attachments

• blank.jpg
    blank.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 94
well - if you are in Toronto and it's in your basement, and you typically only have a 7 ft+ ceiling height , perhaps you should show us where the HVAC ducts are, their sizes and their heights from the floor - they control everything.

Also are there jackposts running through the middle??

cheers
john

John, actually i'm just outside of Toronto in mississauga, but don't think it matters, the furnace can be seen in the top right corner of the basement drawing, there is a square duct pipe that runs across the top and down the left most side, I've attached a drawing so you can get an idea, the measurements are from memory because we haven't actually moved in yet, but I will be able to actually measure in a few weeks.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Attachments

• blnkhvac.jpg
    blnkhvac.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 56
Sorry, one more piece of info, the duct seems to hang down about 6-8 inches, meaning the cieling UNDER the duct is 7' and around the duct about 7'8".

Back