Help with ideas

JEDHrn

Hey guys,

I've decided not to build in the attic, due to heat, cold and no electricity.

I need ideas on how to get my bedroom studio working better / sounding better.
I've got currently, 3 synths/keyboards (a Yamaha TX81Z, Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Casio SK-1 Sampler). I've got one mic and stand I use for vocals, and a Eurorack UB1002 mixer. My computer is a laptop that barely works, in which it does not record sound anymore. - I record either with my DVD recorder, or tape deck.

My questions are:

What type of insulation or sound treatment can I do in here, without major changes? (I don't know how long I'll be living here). - I did have a large sleeping bag hanging in a corner of my room, it seemed to work, I got clear crisp sound on the very first vocal recording in that session.

Any ideas of how I can improve?

What type of insulation or sound treatment can I do in here, without major changes?

Bottom line...OC 703 rigid fiberglass or other brand equivilent. 2" for broadband/first reflection point absorption, 4" thick superchunks or panels placed across room corners floor to ceiling for low frequency absorption.

JEDHrn, understand this. Very small rooms are difficult to treat because of Low frequency modal distribution. I know that most people who come here don't understand this principle but here is a HIGHLY simplified explanation.

This has to do with the rooms 3 dimensions(length, width, height) matching wavelengths which cause low mid frequency resonance. The ONLY solution is absorption. Since Low frequencies TERMINATE in ALL corners of a room, this is where your treatment should begin. Also understand this.

Most nubee home recording enthusiasts have no problem spending the budgets on gear, while not understanding the most important place to put your dollars is in room treatments. I don't care if you spend $10k on equipment, gear isn't the only tools you need. In fact, I would submit room treatment is THE most important thing you can buy BECAUSE if your room LIES to you during recording...it will LIE to you again during mixing. Double whammy.

So, bottom line is, if you are serious about recording, bite the bullet, and plan on spending a good hunk of dough on room absorption. bTW....forget all those foam products. Furthermore...do some reading. This WHOLE forum is dedicated to DIY studio building and treatment. There are at least a THOUSAND threads in the archives describing every aspect of room treatment. Furthermore, there are many other websites where you can find info as well. Frankly I would start with these...

http://www.realtraps.com/faq.htm

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewforum.php?f=8

fitZ:)

Back