Help with Foam

OK. Foam.
I want to know all about it

I do this because I want to know about foam and it's various forms and acoutsical properties (not because I want to treat my room ). I know all about 703/705 and I don't want to compare them at this moment.

SO. The Internet is FULL of conflicting information (so what's new) and I'm having some trouble getting to certain facts that I hope would fill some holes in my self education on this topic.

Here's what I *think* I know so far:

Closed Cell Foam: Useless for sound absorption purposes. Great as a heat insulator.
Examples of Closed cell foam:
Polystyrene Foam - Styrofoam, packing peanuts, Great Stuff Spray foam (expanded polystyrene)
Polyethylene foam - packaging foam, mats, life jackets & other flotation devices, sports equipment.
Neoprene foam - Sponge rubber, Wetsuits
Volara & Minicel: Uses?

Open Cell Foam: Absorbs sound (does not block anything), Allows air to pass through, flammable unless treated(?), Can be used as heat insulator
Examples of Open Cell Foam:
Polyurethane: Auralex foam, Memory Mattress foam,
Polyester Foam: Uses?
Polyesther Foam: Uses?
Pyrell Foam: Uses?

So.....Anything in red - I need more info on. I know I'm missing a lot here too.
Are certain (or all) closed cell foams flammable - or does it just depend on the plastic and treatment of the specific material?
I also don't know the advantages or disadvantages of reticulated or non reticulated foam.
I'm assuming that for open cell foams - greater density increases it's ability to absorb?

Any info you guys can help out with would be great.
Thanks,
Todd

Last edited:
Back