Help with desk placement and acoustic treatment

M3TA1

After doing some research and comparing my options in my price range, I went ahead and ordered the Primacoustic London 10 kit. Comes with 8 panels and 16 scatter blocks. And yes I know there is better stuff out there, but I am in Canada and found this to have good reviews and it was easy to purchase as my local music store carried it.

I looked up some YouTube videos on treating my first reflection points so I should be good there. I was also wondering.. My room is more rectangular. I wanted to get some opinions on desk placement and speaker placement. Currently I have my desk placed on the longer area of the rectangle. I was wondering if it's better to have my desk placed with more room from side to side or more room in terms of length. I have attached some pics of my room. I wanted to know if it would be better to place my desk and speakers in the area where my amp is (in the last picture). I have foam on the walls on the moment, and YES I KNOW it's not effective so I don't need any replies telling me that. :P
Also, what should I do regarding behind my desk and speakers. I am using a pair of Yamaha HS7. They are about 10cm away from the wall.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

1) Your desk would most likely be better on one of the short walls, with monitors facing down the long way - but you really need to provide a dimensioned drawing,

2) I'm kind of shocked that Primacoustics would sell a foam 'kit ' like this (but not really). What you will find out (and do some reading) is that foam does nothing for low frequencies at all - this is where most home studios have problems. Even 16" of thick foam won't trap as much low frequency as 4-8" of rockwool (OC703, 705). You're probably noticing that slapback reverb has been reduced in the room (clap your hands and no longer get annoying reverb-echo), but what you won't notice is the low frequency mud building up - until you mix and then listen on a system with good low end frequency response in a good room.

1) Your desk would most likely be better on one of the short walls, with monitors facing down the long way - but you really need to provide a dimensioned drawing,

2) I'm kind of shocked that Primacoustics would sell a foam 'kit ' like this (but not really). What you will find out (and do some reading) is that foam does nothing for low frequencies at all - this is where most home studios have problems. Even 16" of thick foam won't trap as much low frequency as 4-8" of rockwool (OC703, 705). You're probably noticing that slapback reverb has been reduced in the room (clap your hands and no longer get annoying reverb-echo), but what you won't notice is the low frequency mud building up - until you mix and then listen on a system with good low end frequency response in a good room.

I will be getting bass traps eventually. But that Primacoustics stuff was the most accessible stuff to me and was priced alright.

My room is approximately 15 x 12. Here's the issue with the shortest wall with my room, there is a door on the left side. Meaning I can't position my desk and monitors in the centre of that wall. It will be a little bit more to the right. The other short wall in the room is out of the question as there are windows there which leak from time to time.

Would it still be better to move my listening position to face the smaller side of the wall (the one with the door) and have it closer to the right?

Can't you seal the windows and put blocking drapes over them? That would solve a couple problems.

Here's the problem with foam, which everyone will keep harping on. It is useless for bass absorption, and doesn't really completly suppress until about 1kHz (which is about the 19th fret on your guitar's high E string). drops off rapidly to effectively zero by the guitar's A string. So, all of that stuff just keeps bouncing around like you didn't do anything, making mix decisions pretty hard. Just so you know - it's a good place to think about tackling next.

Can't you seal the windows and put blocking drapes over them? That would solve a couple problems.

Here's the problem with foam, which everyone will keep harping on. It is useless for bass absorption, and doesn't really completly suppress until about 1kHz (which is about the 19th fret on your guitar's high E string). drops off rapidly to effectively zero by the guitar's A string. So, all of that stuff just keeps bouncing around like you didn't do anything, making mix decisions pretty hard. Just so you know - it's a good place to think about tackling next.

I can't cover the windows, then there will be no outside light..

And I am aware that foam doesn't treat low frequencies very well. At least this primacoustics kit will be a step up from what I have now. I will look into bass traps later.

Right now, I am having trouble as to where I should place my listening position.

I can't cover the windows, then there will be no outside light.. ...
I just open my drapes when I want light (e.g., for a video - rare!). LED lightbulbs are pretty affordable now!

Positioning-wise, I've just done what I read (pretty much everywhere) was best but sometimes we gotta compromise. I'd try to stay away from the corners so the monitors are as balanced as possible. Then find the reflection points and position the foam optimally for what you decide you want to do.

Heavy drapes - open when you want light, close them up for mixing. You want yoru mixing position to be centered so that both sides (and behind) are as symmetrical as possible.

Just rearranged the studio. Want to get everything in order before I start setting up my speakers right and before I start finding the first reflection points:

What are your thoughts?

Well, sorry about the glued on foam - consider using these to position them next time!

Looks like a better layout. You'll want some good (i.e., not-foam) treatment right behind the desk, especially with those rear-ported monitors. But, start with what you have to address the space where you'll be mixing. (And, all the other things people keep typing in threads like this.)

You have a nice room there.

My room is of similar dimensions: 15 x 12 x 10 H. There is also a 5 x 10 x 7.5 H entrance hall at one corner leading into the room, which I can block off with sound panels. All painted block walls, vinyl flooring and untextured, painted drywall ceiling treatment.

I just finished making 6 bass traps 46 x 30 x 3 from cardboard, Roxul and duct tape. Total materials cost was around $90 - and I have enough material left over to make about 5 more, if needed. I don't believe you can go less expensive unless you can get some of the materials free.

These will stand and stack nicely in the room's corners, or against a flat wall. I'll use mine freestanding around my computer desk - a little "igloo" of sorts.

x7rZ3zC.png

Well, sorry about the glued on foam - consider using these to position them next time!

Looks like a better layout. You'll want some good (i.e., not-foam) treatment right behind the desk, especially with those rear-ported monitors. But, start with what you have to address the space where you'll be mixing. (And, all the other things people keep typing in threads like this.)

I will be scraping off the old foam excess and re-painting the room before installing the new panels.

How would I go about placement in terms of behind the monitors/desk? I was thinking about putting 2 panels behind there. But I would have to put them horizontal as there are windows there.

How would I go about placement in terms of behind the monitors/desk? I was thinking about putting 2 panels behind there. But I would have to put them horizontal as there are windows there.
They don't have to be rectangles - you can make/buy square ones if that fits your space better. Maybe I'm no expert but the bass reflex port probably needs to be away from, but aiming at, something that will at least absorb a good bit of that. Then treat the early reflection spots on the side walls (search YouTube for ways to find those).

Back