Help- Basement Studio design advise

AashishMandhwan

Hello!

I have an empty basement (about 1200 sq feet in total), out of which I want to use a part to convert into a home studio.

I've attached a very basic layout of the area that I plan to work on. The first question that is confusing me is this: what area should I convert into the control room and which one into the tracking room?

My problems:

1. Ideally, the 10ft by 10ft room should work as a great little space to track acoustic guitar/vocals. I CAN soundproof this area because it is walled from all four sides. But if I do this, what part of the other area (22ft by 15ft) should I convert into the control room? Also, where do I setup my desk (basically, facing what wall?)

2. If I convert the room into the control room, then my other area becomes too big to soundproof + since a part of one wall (marked Plywood Partition) is not a proper brick wall (and only extends upto 8 feet whereas my ceiling height is almost 11 feet), soundproofing anyway becomes very difficult.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

RoomDesign.jpg

Who do you plan to record? If it's mostly you and friends, you might considering using only the larger area for both recording and mixing. I have a one-room studio and I can't imagine working any other way. Though I don't record loud bands for hire.

--Ethan

I'm primarily looking at doing acoustic guitar+ vocals (the mic'd stuff), other stuff is going to be running DI. No plans on doing live drums as of now.

If I just work on the larger area, how should I treat that space which is between the end of the plywood partition and the ceiling? Also, how would you recommend I place my main mixing desk? Facing the shorter wall?

^^^ In that case, you're definitely better off with one room. It's much more convenient!

As for placement and treatment, these short articles explain the basics:

How to set up a room
Acoustic Basics

Surfaces behind you are less important than the reflection points and corners.

--Ethan

Thanks a lot, Ethan. Those articles are extremely helpful and detailed and answer most other questions that I had in mind for later! :)

Back