Help for acoustic treatment in a non permanent room?

PPKing

Hi guys

As the title says, I live at home with my parents at the moment, and I'm setting up my studio in my old room, now the spare bedroom. How is the best way to go about treating the acoustics of this room? I'm looking to be moving out within the next 6 months/years time so I don't want to be going spending a fortune treating the room when Im going to be relocating anyway so I was wondering if there are any cheaper fixes for now?

Paul

How is the best way to go about treating the acoustics of this room?

This short article explains the basics in plain English:

Acoustic Basics

I don't want to be going spending a fortune treating the room when Im going to be relocating anyway

Acoustic treatment can be taken with you just like loudspeakers, a computer, and any other gear. So that's never a reason to not treat your room. If you want to avoid permanent installation and holes in the walls for now, you can simply stack bass traps in the corners, or put them on stands, and prop up side-wall and rear-wall reflection panels on milk cartons etc. Though reflection panels are often light enough to hang like a picture with a single small hook.

--Ethan

Using info, primarily, from Ethan Winer and elsewhere, I developed and designed these Acoustic Panel Mounting Units that can be built for less than $15 each.
Very portable and with each panel's added distance from the walls it helps increase bass absorption!

Well Hung W-Cutout (529x640).jpg

APMBuild IntroPhoto1.0.jpg

Hi there,

I agree with Home Studio Guy above. You'd want to look to do dense fiberglass panels instead of foams for broader control. Foam doesn't absorb the bass range very well at all, so you can get much more effective treatment of everything from high end to low bass with broadband bass traps.
You can check our article we wrote up showing the differences between foam corner "bass traps" compared to full size broadband bass traps here: Comparing Acoustic Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

Below are more recent photos of my Home Studio.
Although my acoustic panel set-up is not as good as it could be, it does provide a good example of a fairly nice set-up for a home studio that can be improved upon with time and money.

The photo directly below is a "straight shot" towards my desk and shows:
1) The Wall Behind the desk is essentially covered with my Custom Designed "Black-Hole" Absorbers that primarily revolve around 8-inches of compressed fiberglass. To do this in a lower cost format, you could do the same by hanging 4" thick compressed fiberglass panels.
2) To the left and right of my desk are 6-compressed fiberglass panels, 3 to a side, that are placed, primarily at the first left and right reflection points from my Audio Monitors.
In any case, all of these can easily be removed from the walls and moved elsewhere.
bobgStudioWorksNorthWall (800x600).jpg

The photo directly below shows the wall to the right of my desk where you can see the compressed fiberglass panels as mentioned above as well as 3 multi-level panels I designed and built that utilize 8 of the 1ft X 1ft foam panels on each panel. As each panel is at a different depth from the wall, they create non-parallel surfaces across from the opposite walls that are flat-surface solid-wood doors.
bobgStudioWorksEastWall (800x600).jpg

This photo below shows the rear and left walls
bobgStudioWorksNWwalls (800x600).jpg

Bob G.

curious about your photo

This isn't on the topic...but I was wondering what you are using there for nearfields.
I saw them in one of your fotos...I need some...don't know alot about the choices I have being on a budget.

OK
Here it is here too! :laughings:

The small Audio Monitors on my desk are AVANTONE Mix Cubes.
They are an upgraded version of the "Auratones" that were well known back in the 70's and 80's. Built to emulate a car speaker to help with final mixes.
I do not recommend them as your primary monitors as they are meant to be used for cross-referencing.
Mine are the Passive models and require a separate power amp.
Avantone Audio MixCubes | Sweetwater.com
They are also available as Active Models.
Avantone Audio Active MixCubes (Retro Cream) | Sweetwater.com

My larger Audio Monitors are the highly rated M-Audio BX8a's with an 8" woofer.
M-Audio BX8 D2 | Sweetwater.com
They have been upgraded since I bought mine and are now the BX8 D2s.
Great Lower-Cost Monitors for the Money.
Not what I'd ultimately like but they are what I can afford currently.

They ALSO come in a 5" woofer Model (BX5 D2) and are highly rated.
M-Audio BX5 D2 | Sweetwater.com

There is also a matching SubWoofer:
M-Audio SBX10 | Sweetwater.com

When attaching panels and tiles to the walls and the ceiling, what do people recommend using? Something that will leave me with ease to move the tiles as and when would be great so a non permanent fitment.

When attaching panels and tiles to the walls and the ceiling, what do people recommend using? Something that will leave me with ease to move the tiles as and when would be great so a non permanent fitment.

If you're attaching acoustic panels, you could hang them from Ooks hooks. They just use a single nail.
For acoustic foam, T-pins work pretty well. If you wanted to do less holes in the wall you could attach multiple foams to a piece of cardboard and hang from a single nail.

Back