Help with Acoustic Treatment

Alexrkstr

Hi guys, I recently moved in to a new apartment where I am using the downstairs living room as my music room (recording and playing). However, the room layout is quite large and I'm not sure how to best treat it as a step 1. Should I start with bass traps in all corners of the room?

This is what the layout is right now, and how I have setup the desk and chair.
A few other notes:
- the space behind the chair is a stairway that goes upstairs so behind that wall there is no ceiling (or a very very tall one)
- Thre is a 12 in deep window that's 27x22 inches in front of the desk (solid brick glass)
- There are very small windows in the three walls to the left
- There is an open hall to the bottom right of the picture

Since there is no other room I can record in, what do you recommend I do as step 1, step 2, etc? I'll probably start with basic treatment and move up from there.

It woudl help if your diagram had all the features in it - does the stairway effectively cut the whole room in 2? which wall has the opening for the hall (right side), etc.

It woudl help if your diagram had all the features in it - does the stairway effectively cut the whole room in 2? which wall has the opening for the hall (right side), etc.

Hi mj,
The hallway starts at the bottom right corner of the picture (horizontally to the right)
The stairway is at the bottom of the diagram, this is where there's a higher ceiling.
Does that help?

I would be hesitant to give any advice without a better drawing with details.

Keep in mind, there is no one 'right way' to setup. There are somewhat standard things that make sense though. Without knowing the exacts of your space, it is hard to apply any suggestions. Be it from another persons experience or from proven facts from testing room acoustics.

There is much in this forum for you to read. Make your own judgments based on what you take from the advice. It is your space, nobody can tell you what is best. Only direction to get there.

I would consider positioning the desk (and I assume monitors) towards that angular recess to the left of your current position. Put absorption on as much of the wall area of that angular area that you can (ie: behind your mix position). Corner traps and staggered absorption panels on the long walls will get you pointing in the right direction.

There's a bucket load of really good advice here BUT most of it dates way back to beyond 8 - 10 years ago, alternatively, look up John Sayers studio design forums and post your questions there.

:cool:

Back