Has anyone seen, heard of or tried THESE corner "bass" traps?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
Primacoustic Acoustic Solutions

They're Canadian, eh, just like me! :D

This company makes other bass trapping products as well, but I found these to be something that would pass the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) in the "home office" (aka my control room). The ratings seem to look good. Looks like they're using OC705 2" (its 6 lbs density per cubic foot rigid fiberglass). When I called to ask what the ratings are based on, the guy on the phone seemed to think it was with 1 in all four corners of a small-medium-sized room.

I decided I'm going to make some since they seem super easy to make (we'll see if they work). I ACTUALLY found a store that can sell OC703/705 to me...and all this time I thought I had to go states side! All's I need is some fabric and I'm good. Will post pics and feedback once I make and try them out.

In the meantime, as the post title asks, has anyone seen, heard of or tried these corner "bass" traps?

Can't imagine using them instead of actually treating the vertical corners... I'm sure they work for what they do, but look at GIK's Tri-Trap (or whatever it's called) first.

They look like cheap, smaller, and less effective knock-offs of my company's Tri-Corner traps:

RealTraps - Tri-Corners

But treating the regular wall-wall and wall-ceiling (and wall-floor) corners is just as important if not more so. Along the lines of this:

RealTraps - MiniTraps

--Ethan

They're smaller than yours, but I'd imagine that is ok for a small room like mine (8x9)? So if the 2" is one of the things that makes it less effective compared to yours (I'm assuming), should I get OC705 4"? Wouldn't that make less of an airgap? (Which is probably a reason why yours are bigger).

They look like cheap, smaller, and less effective knock-offs of my company's Tri-Corner traps:

RealTraps - Tri-Corners

But treating the regular wall-wall and wall-ceiling (and wall-floor) corners is just as important if not more so. Along the lines of this:

RealTraps - MiniTraps

--Ethan

Ethan, getting tired of you trolling the boards and podcasts self promoting.
Anyone reading, simply compare both companies and make you own conclusions. Compare their history, products, and success.
RealTraps - Contact/About

They're smaller than yours, but I'd imagine that is ok for a small room like mine (8x9)?
There's the rub -- You need MORE absorption-per-area in a smaller space. Controlling an 8x9 space would require the same amount of absorption as a room twice that size at the same SPL's. Although the energy has more area to spread out, your goal is still to absorb (X-amount) of energy. Smaller spaces being almost universally far more difficult to control than larger...

There's the rub -- You need MORE absorption-per-area in a smaller space. Controlling an 8x9 space would require the same amount of absorption as a room twice that size at the same SPL's. Although the energy has more area to spread out, your goal is still to absorb (X-amount) of energy. Smaller spaces being almost universally far more difficult to control than larger...

+1
You need the good stuff. I would recommend RealTraps hands down.. a little more expensive but they provide more trapping per dollar spent.
By the way, I don't see the people at primacoustic offering DIY help to folks here... Ethan is a very knowledgeable, helpful, and honest man. :facepalm: There is nothing wrong with a little shameless self-promotion in the process. There are also very helpful articles on his site to assist with placement. - whether you buy his or build your own. Great stuff.
You may also want to check out the articles on the GIK site and my publications page. ;)

If you cannot afford to buy, build them yourself. There are quite a few details here on this forum and on GearSlutz.

Cheers,
John

So if the 2" is one of the things that makes it less effective compared to yours (I'm assuming), should I get OC705 4"? Wouldn't that make less of an airgap? (Which is probably a reason why yours are bigger).

Yes, two inches thick is not enough for bass trapping, especially in a small nearly cube room like yours. If you DIY, definitely use 4-inch thick 705, and also use the FRK type. Making them 4 inches thick extends the same amount of absorption to a full octave lower than 2 inches, and the FRK doubles the LF absorption yet again. If you make them as big as RealTraps Tri-Corners, they'll work even better still. You'll only do this once, and it's no more effort to make them bigger and thicker. The small increase in cost of materials is almost irrelevant.

(And thanks John.)

--Ethan

Yes, two inches thick is not enough for bass trapping, especially in a small nearly cube room like yours. If you DIY, definitely use 4-inch thick 705, and also use the FRK type.
--Ethan

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies! :) Thanks Ethan, I will follow your guidance. I already had the store order me a package of OC705 plain 2" before seeing yours (not sure what FRK means), so I'm hoping doubling the panels to make them 4" thick will yield somewhat similar results as the 4" type. I will try to make these larger as well. May be difficult, since these boards are 4x8, but I will just have to cut other pieces from another board to add together to make a larger triangle...until i can buy the real thing! One thing at a time.

Ethan, getting tired of you trolling the boards and podcasts self promoting.
Anyone reading, simply compare both companies and make you own conclusions. Compare their history, products, and success.
RealTraps - Contact/About

I've been a watcher on this forum for a while and been on a few others where Ethan is.

I have never seen a Bussiness man who is more involved helpful and dedicated to his clientel. Especially his advice pertaining to DIY. It's the eqivalent of Leo Fender or Paul Reed Smith stopping by your local guitar shop and giving you the specs on how to build your own Guitar!

I can't belive people are complaining about a hyperlink in the age of sex sells and prime time

If you don't like it, it's not that hard to scroll down a litte. Talk about trolling.

I'm hoping doubling the panels to make them 4" thick will yield somewhat similar results as the 4" type.

Yes, you can cut two pieces per trap and place them adjacent. No need to glue them, just wrap them together with one piece of fabric. If you use butcher paper instead of fabric, that will be like using FRK fiberglass.

And thanks Turtis.

--Ethan

Yes, you can cut two pieces per trap and place them adjacent. No need to glue them, just wrap them together with one piece of fabric. If you use butcher paper instead of fabric, that will be like using FRK fiberglass.
--Ethan

Gee, thanks very much! Judging by your study I'd assume I'd have the "FRK" side facing out. into the room (and not the wall).

Back