Hanging Clouds

fuzzsniffvoyage

I'm going to be hanging 9 - 1" OC703 clouds. I do not want to build wood frames. I just want to wrap and hang. Was thinking of using the plastic ATS hangers @ $2.17 ea plus shipping would be around $100 (6 hangars per panel)

Or, and here's my question, has anybody used eye bolts (2") & washers (2") with ceiling hooks (4") to hang clouds? Which I figured would cost about $77 plus tax. I guess I'm wondering if the washers would pull through the fiberglass over time?

I'm planning on putting a 4" air gap.

I would think that without framing, over time...they will sag in the middle.

You know...for 1" OC703...why not wrap it, and then just use some silicone/caulk adhesive and attache them right to the ceiling....?

I did that with some bass trap "strips" 6"x4', mixed with some wood strips to create a bit of diffusion, and then surrounded that with typical 2'x4' acoustic tiles. I didn't have or want to use up any of my ceiling height, as it's not a high ceiling top begin with.
Once they set...I then got some 1" wooden L-moldings, and with same adhesive, glued a "frame" around the acoustic tiles to pretty them up up...purely for the aesthetics to make the clouds look like a finished product.
Came out great....does the job.

From everything I've read I think you'll want to double up that OC703 to 2" thick. 1" x 2" pine is cheap for frame making, the 2" thick rockwool will be a little thicker, but wrap with cloth tight, and it will 'sag' 1/2" or so . 4 eyebolts and hooks for each one - total cost not including the rockwool and whatever cloth you use should about be less than $20. I used bargain basement cotton sheets for the cloth - 1 full size flat sheet is more than enough to do two 2x4 panels.

I found my studs in the ceiling to see my placement options, ran screw/hooks in. Hung the cloth wrapped fiber boards in lite chain loops.
I can just lift them up off the chain, change the angle -flat?, angled to put their edges lower, make a 'tee pee whatever, or change their overall height adjusting the chain itself etc.

+1 for chains. +1 for 2" rockwool and frames.

My clouds are actually framed with typical drywall corner bead. Super lightweight.

THESE are really good for using eye bolts as the anchor stays in the wall so you can remove the bolt and change it.

"My clouds are actually framed with typical drywall corner bead. Super lightweight. "
Interesting tip. They have a nice curved edge IIRC.

I'm going to be hanging 9 - 1" OC703 clouds. I do not want to build wood frames. I just want to wrap and hang. Was thinking of using the plastic ATS hangers @ $2.17 ea plus shipping would be around $100 (6 hangars per panel)

Or, and here's my question, has anybody used eye bolts (2") & washers (2") with ceiling hooks (4") to hang clouds? Which I figured would cost about $77 plus tax. I guess I'm wondering if the washers would pull through the fiberglass over time?

I'm planning on putting a 4" air gap.

No air gap method:

I found some half rotten old pegboard, cut it into 2" strips, and just screwed two up per 2x4x2" OC703. No sagging, they've been up for years. Tacked a huge old linen flag over. No big whoop. My old thread is around somewhere.

Plenty of broadband absorption, especially with three double thick 4" bass traps in the corners.

If you don't want to make frames, one tip I saw in a studio design book was to use planter trays from a garden centre and put the 703 into them, you can then wrap it if you want.

Alan.

1355_2324_popup.jpg

Thanks, there's a lot of great ideas here, lots to think about.

I was actually thinking of doubling up the 1" using a spray adhesive like 3m super 77.

I bought leftover panels from his studio build off some guy on evil bay at a very good price. Its actually 7 - 1" OC703 and 2 - 2" OC705

My ceiling height is 87.5". Double sheet rock and 6"'s of mineral wool. (And I still get upstairs noises. Upstairs is tiled floor. (Kitchen))

I'm also concerned about monitor placement, height wise, I don't want any phase canceling by placing monitors halfway between floor and ceiling/clouds.

Not only do I want the room to sound great, I want it to look clean, professional.

I have a couple weeks to think about this before next payday.

My ceiling height is 87.5". Double sheet rock and 6"'s of mineral wool. (And I still get upstairs noises. Upstairs is tiled floor. (Kitchen))

Yeah...that's about where my studio ceiling is at...which is why I opted to attach the 2" trapping strips and the 1" acoustic tiles directly to the ceiling to create my cloud, forging any air space.
It still looks very pro, if I may say so, and does the intended job. :)
I also used that same approach in the other half of my studio space...attaching some acoustic tile directly to parts of the ceiling to remove flutter echo, but still having some hard surface area to keep a bit of life in the studio.

Because my studio is just a single, open space (no separate control room)...I went for more of a control room sound, rather than a live tracking room sound. It has a fast decay do to increased acoustic absorption, but not that real "dead" vibe where it feels like the sound is getting sucked up by the room. :D

AFA your kitchen noise...mmm...that's what you get in houses because nothing is decoupled. You can jam up the insulation between the wall/ceiling beams, but the structure is all interconnected, and wood will resonate and conduct the sound waves.
Just kick everyone out of the kitchen when you're tracking. ;)

I didn't bother with any treatment between room ceilings/floors, but then, I don't have a lot of traffic in the house to deal with.

I used 1x4s for the frames, I found them for 2 bucks each, I got 2 frames out of 3 boards. I used hooks and eyes to hang them. I used Burlap to wrap the panel in. I think they came out nice. :D

Attachments

• C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 36
My cloud project is progressing. I have 4 panels wrapped and ready to hang. I'm going to use scrap 2x4's and screw right through the panels using the largest washers I can find to keep the panels from falling on me. I glued 4 of the 1" panels together to make 2 -2" panels :thumbs up:

So tomorrow I will go to the hardware store and get black screws and black plastic washers. It should work.20160211_180550.jpg20160211_180428.jpg

Last edited:
Good deal man, I like the small corner panel by the door. I have a couple of small corners I cannot fit a full size panel in. think I may make a couple of small ones. :D

I've got 4 panels hung.

I've come to the conclusion that the stacking of 2 - 1" panels works, but is not ideal. The 2" panels are much better.

I still want to hang 4 more 2" panels. It'll have to wait a while.

Trying to attach photo's, not working.

Back